• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye removal question/ includes piccys/ UD post 40

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
We have had lots of different eye problems to cope with at our sanctuary but we have never had any experience with actual eye removal.

Now I am thinking that when a bunny has an eye removed the lids are stitched together and it is neat and tidy. The eye isn't just removed and the socket left exposed :?

Having had a good look at our new arrival Frank this morning, he has got an empty socket that is full of pus and red raw tissue :( Now obviously the pus thing is wrong but I am wondering that if the socket has been left exposed, whether it is infected or not, then maybe he hasn't had the eye surgically removed but rather there is a chance he was born without it :?

Obviously he is going to the vets, but I was just wondering about how the eye came to be missing so I look a bit more informed when we see the vet :lol:

So basically my question is - Is it possible for a vet to remove an eye surgically and leave an open socket?

I have included a couple of piccys but it is hard to se anything clearly

This is after I have cleaned it up, pus was oozing out on his face before that

PC130186.jpg

PC130187.jpg

And some of his pretty face

PC130185.jpg

PC130184.jpg

PC130180.jpg

Last edited:
:shock: :shock: That doesn't look right :?

I did a bunnyrun for a wonderful 10yr old dutch who had her eye removed and as you said the lids were stiched together, there was no open areas or wounds. I met her about a week after the op and there was no pus or anything. Maybe he pulled the stiches out and the owners didn't realise?

:shock: :shock: That doesn't look right :?

I did a bunnyrun for a wonderful 10yr old dutch who had her eye removed and as you said the lids were stiched together, there was no open areas or wounds. I met her about a week after the op and there was no pus or anything

Thats what I thought, all the pictures I have seen of any animal with a surgically removed eye, it has been stitched together.

Like I said I know the infection isn't right and he will see be seeing a vet. But even if there was no infection surely there should be no open socket :(

It would have been nice for the rescue to actually tell me there was a problem with his eye, rather than just letting us collect him with no info :roll:

Hi Liz

One of my own rabbits has had both of his eyes enucliated and they simply look like his eye is closed and he's sleeping. Very neat and each one done by two different vets at our practice.

I know someone whose rabbit has had an eye out and the closure wasn't total (not deliberately though) and it keeps weeping from a tiny whole in the corner. It isn't good.

I don't know for sure but would imagine that any socket left open would be an open invitation to infection - can't see that this would ever be good practice.

Hope it's sorted easily - shame about you not knowing before hand!

Mums JRT has one eye, and the lids were stitched together, so it just looked like he had it closed.
There was also a horse I used to know who had had an eye removed, looked a bit odd cause it was almost like a cavern in her face, but the lids were stitched.
Have you called the rescue he came from to ask whats going on and when it was done?

Just wanted to add, the bunny wasn't from Starlights, Frank was just dropped there to make it easy for Steve to collect him when he dropped Marnie.

None of the 3 rabbits we collected from Kris's yesterday were Kris's rescue rabbits, she just kindly let her house be a meeting place :) Don't want any wrong conclusions jumped to like last week :?

These are the pics i took after Summers eye removal, i dont know if they will help, but everything is all neat and tidy.

Flynnhoppong022.jpg

Flynnhoppong042.jpg

Flynnhoppong026.jpg

Flynnhoppong034.jpg

helix021.jpg

Poor boy - I'm sure that's not right and def looks infected. I hope the vet can sort him out. I would be interested to know his story and why his eye was removed (re: Pipkin)

Just wanted to add, the bunny wasn't from Starlights, Frank was just dropped there to make it easy for Steve to collect him when he dropped Marnie.

None of the 3 rabbits we collected from Kris's yesterday were Kris's rescue rabbits, she just kindly let her house be a meeting place :) Don't want any wrong conclusions jumped to like last week :?

Was probably a good thing that I had to leave Kris so early....It would have been chaos otherwise :lol:
(although I'm sure it would have been busy enough that I could have stolen Cookie ;) )

when toffee had his eye removed, it was all stitched up.
i think you should take him to the vet so they can take alook at that, it looks soo sore! :(

Steve was exactly the same. Came to me with an open wound and pus coming out.

It wont heal but it cant be stitched up at the moment.

Steve was put on Oxytetrin(sp) and I had to flush his eye out once or twice a day for just over a week before I could have his op.

The vet who did the corrective surgery, scooped out all the old tissue, put some manuka honey into the socket and then stitched the eyelids back together. Steve is now fine :D

One thing that might have happened is his eye actually was stitched up but not enough of either eye lid was removed, hence opening up the wound and curling back on itself causing infection. If this is the case they'll need to remove more of the lids. It may also be the tear duct.

He's lovely tough :love: You know me and one eyed buns :love:

Thank you so much for your replies. Thank you Shazzabunny, that is what I would have expected to see.

And thank you Vicki I was hoping for your imput :wave: I hadn't thought about the surgery being done correctly and then the wound breaking down. If that is the case it is heartbreaking to think that no-one followed up his treatment :(

Frank is booked in at the vets Tuesday, as he is fine and well in himself :)

I have no info on his history so we will just have to work with what we have in front of us. I am expecting to have to keep the wound clean and give antbiotics etc for a while before any surgery can be attempted :)

I think this is the problem when you run off a foster based system with a rescue. If the foster is a fair distance from said vet, how can you guarantee it will get to the same vet if follow up treatment is needed? :? And how can you keep an eye on their progress at a fosters unless you speak every few days?

That said, Frank is a beautiful boy and he ran straight over to me on arrival for a cuddle :love:

I knew a bunny who had an eye removed, but the wound got infected and needed to be opened up again to relieve the pressure and let the infection out. Could this have happened here?

AFAIK many eye removals are done due to retrobulbar abscess, which is very likely to reoccur if all of the infected material isn't removed.

This bun needs to start antibiotic treatment asap (I'm sure I don't need to tell you that though)

Back