PDA

View Full Version : How big is your hutch?

katie2000
13-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I am looking to rehome a bun as my little netherland needs a friend. I rang the rspca today and she said my hutch and run probably weren't big enough to meet their standards for them to let me have a bun :cry:

The hutch I have is 4ft by 2ft by 2ft and on 2 levels so she has 8 square feet. My run is 7ft by 3ft and she gets free run of the garden when I can supervise her because she is a cheeky little thing and I like to keep an eye on her. She comes in for a cuddle every day and I exercise her in the house if the weather is bad.

I feel very frustrated because I know I can offer a loving home for a bun. What do you think of her living conditions? I would feel awful if I was keeping her in a space that was too small :cry: Please tell me what you think

Mopz
13-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Im not sure, i think the standard size is a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft. i wouldnt have any problems with your bunnies accomadation as netherlands are a small breed to begin with and it sounds like she gets regular excersize. Im no rescue but i think other people on here can advise you more than i can but maybe for two bunnies it could do with being bigger??

Stator
13-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't have a problem with 4ft x 2ft x 2ft hutches for smaller rabbits. Some people don't like two level hutches though, mainly because of the ramp, but if your rabbit has a permanent run I don't think the total square footage of the hutch is that important. I think your run could use a little more width though, 7ft x 3ft is 21 sqft. My runs are 6ft x 6ft which is 36sq ft and they do enjoy the space, they can run around inside it doing laps.

In the end though there are plenty of rescues around so don't get put off if one of them has a problem with something specific about your setup.

Tamsin
13-12-2009, 01:18 AM
The requirements vary between rescues. It might be that they have a written policy of a 5-6' hutch and as yours is only 4' on paper it doesn't match. It maybe that considering it's on two levels and you only have a small bunny they would allow it. Are they close enough you could drop in with a picture of your set up and discuss it in person. Having the square footage floor area worked out might help :)

Is the run attached to the hutch? That can be another sticking point. If they aren't permanently linking the hutch requirement is more important as part of the time that's the total space they have.

Furries
13-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Do you mean 8 square feet on each level? Bear in mind that the hutch dimensions given by pet shops are usually the outside dimensions; the inside dimensions will be smaller than this.

TBH, I would say your set-up is too small for two rabbits. I have a Nethie-cross and I moved him and his friend (who isn't much bigger than him), out of my 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch because I really didn't think they had enough room, even though they were in a separate 8ft run during the day. They're now in a shed (which I realise isn't feasible for everyone) and much happier.

Why don't you watch your rabbit - can he do 4 consecutive hops in your hutch?

Is the run attached to the hutch or is it separate? If it's attached, does he have access to this bigger space 24/7.

Jack-Bun
13-12-2009, 09:24 PM
My two Dwarf Lops have a 16ft x 4ft Kennel.
Give them the biggest you can afford. Ideally you need a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, with an attached 6ft run :)

x

SisterMoonbeam
13-12-2009, 09:24 PM
My shed is 8x6ft and aviary is 5x6ft :)

*Spider*
13-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I'd deffinitely say it's two small, sorry.
Have you thought about upgrading it?

*Spider*
13-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh, and my lot live in a 12ftx6ft dog kennel (you could look at this as a 6ftx4ft shed with attached 8ftx6ft walk in avairy)

Furries
13-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I would feel awful if I was keeping her in a space that was too small :cry: Please tell me what you think

I just wanted to say: don't feel awful. Lots and lots of people underestimate the amount of room rabbits need. We're not helped by pet shops (mostly) only selling teeny-weeny hutches and advertising them as suitable for rabbits.

w1lll
13-12-2009, 09:44 PM
You could ask at the centre if they can sell you a 6x2x2 hutch- apparently they're good quality (and only about 100)

By the way, mine were adopted from an RSPCA centre and live in a 6x4 shed with 5x4 attached run

Amy104
14-12-2009, 01:36 PM
If your hutch is two tiered both 4ft x 2ft you actually have 16sq feet not 8. You do lose a bit of floor space where the ramp is but I would still think the hutch offers the 12sq feet that a 6ft x 2ft hutch does.

Is the run permanently attached? As that adds floorspace. I have 7ft x 5ft runs for my buns so if you could extend yours a bit your buns would benefit.

katie2000
14-12-2009, 02:12 PM
If your hutch is two tiered both 4ft x 2ft you actually have 16sq feet not 8. You do lose a bit of floor space where the ramp is but I would still think the hutch offers the 12sq feet that a 6ft x 2ft hutch does.

Thanks Amy yes it is 16sq feet - my maths is terrible!! I am currently considering moving the buns into our outbuilding for the winter. It is at least 8ft by 8ft (I will measure it exactly later, it might be bigger) but the buns would have free run of this building both day and night. I will be putting the hutch in the outbuilding but the buns will never have to be locked in as the outbuilding is safe, secure and dry with a window for natural light and venitilation. I could also see about attaching the outside run so they can come into the garden and have even more space. Do you think this sounds ok??

pudding777
14-12-2009, 02:26 PM
That sounds great. Do it. You'll have a fantastic home for your Buns, and much more sheltered for them now its winter too. Well done. x

Biscuit's Mum!
14-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Sounds like you have the same hutch as me, and mine was just passed with flying colours. Although mine are indoor buns and are only really shut in at night and for an hour or two in the afternoon. Otherwise they have full run of the house, and the garden too in summer.

lottielouise
14-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Shed lot are 3 small to medium buns in a 14ftx6ft dog kennel and run.

Hutch lot are in a 5ftx2ftx2ft double hutch with perm attached 6ft run, soon to be expanded 13ft run.

Furries
14-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks Amy yes it is 16sq feet - my maths is terrible!! I am currently considering moving the buns into our outbuilding for the winter. It is at least 8ft by 8ft (I will measure it exactly later, it might be bigger) but the buns would have free run of this building both day and night. I will be putting the hutch in the outbuilding but the buns will never have to be locked in as the outbuilding is safe, secure and dry with a window for natural light and venitilation. I could also see about attaching the outside run so they can come into the garden and have even more space. Do you think this sounds ok??

Sounds fantastic! Would it be feasible for you to keep them in there even during the Summer? Once you've seen how much happier they are with lots of space, I don't think you'll go back to keeping them in your hutch.

BTW two bunnies are lots of fun - it's great seeing them all loved-up. :)

P.S. Just bear in mind that unless you move the run around the grass, or the run is on a hard surface, the grass will soon be nothing but mud.