• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone ever used a humane trap to catch a rabbit?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Anyone? Individuals or rescues? :)

I know that when using one they must be checked very often so that the bunny is not left in there panicking. I'm just wondering how effective they are as a means of catching a stray.

Yes. There's a baby Dutch rabbit on the edge of a park in my area. I've been visiting it for three evenings now, and though today I was hand feeding him or her carrot, he or she is very wary of my other hand coming near. I might be able to build up enough trust to grab it, but it stays on the other side of some railings in some back gardens, so unless it comes close I cannot do this. I'm just wondering if buying/renting a humane trap and asking if I can place it in the garden it visits of an evening might be the fastest means of catching it.

The only things that bother me over it is that the rabbit is very small and I'm unsure if her weight will be enough to set off the trap.

Plus I could not leave it overnight because I'd worry that I'd be leaving him or her trapped in a wire cage at the mercy of foxes that trot around the gardens, apparently. And yet I think night is the best time TO trap it. Aaah!

I've used one and bunny was fine, actually it was Beatrix and I tried it on Dylan :oops:, needed to check it worked :oops:, the stray bunny I tried to catch didn't go in it though, I never caught him :(

If there are foxes wouldn't it be best to catch her?

Cover the trap on three sides with a black towel or something and check it just after twilight.

Of course it would. I'm just pointing out that I would be unable to leave the trap waiting to be sprung overnight due to the presence of foxes. I'm just wondering aloud at how effective a trap will be if I can only set it for a certain number of hours per day, though obviously as a means of getting the bunny this is better than nothing at all.

If she sees you set it, she might be too cautious of it...
But if you don't want to set it and leave it that's a difficult one.

Perhaps you could put it in the bushes and put wet leaves over the entrance to disguise the metal smell. Use a really smelly vegetable like cabbage and some apple. Just make sure it can still close and there's not branches in the way.

Best I can think of, sorry. :?

Back