• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just don't understand some people!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We were in P@H for some rat litter and there was a 6 year old female rabbit in the adoption centre, the reason she was being given up was because the couldn't give her enough time!
I can't understand how people can give up their animals, especially to P@H (no offence to those who work there, but our branch doesn't seem very knowledgable or worried about the adopters), and to give up such an old, estabilshed pet is even more of a mystery to me. I just don't get it.:(

I don't understaind either. I couldn't ever give up my pets, I'd do whatever it took to look after them.

if i got a job or similar circumstances that meant i couldnt spend as much time with my animals thay they deserved then i would put them up for adoption. not to P@H it has to be said, but i think they would deserve more. however, i would try to always have enough time for them so it wouldnt happen x

if i got a job or similar circumstances that meant i couldnt spend as much time with my animals thay they deserved then i would put them up for adoption. not to P@H it has to be said, but i think they would deserve more. however, i would try to always have enough time for them so it wouldnt happen x

Would you put an older animal up for adopion though. I know they adapt but it is still quite an upheaval for an older animal. I worry about what kind of home she goes to, when she may already have health issues.:(
I do often wonder if these people walk away and end up with another pet. We we took home Mia the rat from the adoption cetnre, she was 18 months old and covered in mites. P@H didn't even know that she had mites, were not going to treat them and didn't really find out about us at all.:(

:wave: I can see what your saying however, for me there would never ever any circumstances to give up my animals - situations can always be adapted and worked around and the stress and trauma of being 'abandoned' and lord knows how many homes this bun will end up having now is sooo unfair on animals. :evil: It's most deffo an excuse that they have either made up (PAH) or the owners - if I had a single 6 year old female bun and my job meant I couldn't spend enough time with her (odd as they sleep a lot in the day anyway) I would get her a bunny friend ! People treat animals as a novelty item a lot of the time and the novelty wears off - this poor bun has probably been pushed from pillar to post and then people wonder why some of them have 'behavioural issues'. x

Would you put an older animal up for adopion though. I know they adapt but it is still quite an upheaval for an older animal. I worry about what kind of home she goes to, when she may already have health issues.:(
I do often wonder if these people walk away and end up with another pet. We we took home Mia the rat from the adoption cetnre, she was 18 months old and covered in mites. P@H didn't even know that she had mites, were not going to treat them and didn't really find out about us at all.:(

Can't you get her and foster and re-home to someone who will do the right thing and give her a nice retirement poor little thing....:(

Can't you get her and foster and re-home to someone who will do the right thing and give her a nice retirement poor little thing....:(

We were VERY tempted, but we already have 10 buns and limited housing, if we took her home she would stay. We are still trying to build new runs and although we could give her a 5ft hutch, we would struggle if there were any more vet bills at the moment- ours is sitting at £1000 from the start of the month!

We were VERY tempted, but we already have 10 buns and limited housing, if we took her home she would stay. We are still trying to build new runs and although we could give her a 5ft hutch, we would struggle if there were any more vet bills at the moment- ours is sitting at £1000 from the start of the month!

Awww thats kinda understandable then, would you not be strong enough to foster then, I know I couldn't as I would end up keeping for deffo - I was just thinking you might be able to find her a 'forever' home whereas PAH probably won't give two hoots :(

Awww thats kinda understandable then, would you not be strong enough to foster then, I know I couldn't as I would end up keeping for deffo - I was just thinking you might be able to find her a 'forever' home whereas PAH probably won't give two hoots :(

Where are you btw?

We used to foster for a local rescue, and found it very hard, and people don't do what they promise. 3 of our foster rabbits caught myxo, 2 died and 2 guinea pigs were taken by a fox the night they left us- that was the final straw and we decided to become a sanctuary.
We are in aberdeenshire.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but we are going back to P@H to see if bunny is still there and taking her home if she is. Animals seem to be rehomed quickly for the adoption centre, so we expect her to be gone, but if not she won't be there for Christmas.:oops:

Aww, thats so sad that she is there, but brilliant if you go and get her :)
Ill keep looking back tomorrow to see.
Yayyy!

I fully expect her to be gone, but she was in a small pen ( usually for the rats/ hamsters) and if she is still there, it could be a while before she finds a home. I can't give her what she deserves just now, but it will be better than where she is at the moment.:? and we will son have something set up to give her a run.

This really makes me sad that people give up their bunnies for that. But in saying that, I'd rather they were given up for adoption by someone else than be neglected by their owners. My bunny came from a P@H adoption centre - she'd apparently been there a year and a half. I heard that and took her home the same night, I'd only come in to have a nose! The guy told me that in some stores they have extra cages out the back and 'rotate' the rescue bunnies so the same ones aren't always on show.

And did you get her?

Sorry guys, didn't make it into town today, we are going tomorrow with the excuse we need rat food- I will let you know.

Back