PDA

View Full Version : If Eucalyptus is Toxic to Rabbits.........

Jack's-Jane
12-12-2009, 04:01 PM
...............is it then not safe to use Olbas Oil for Buns with an RTI ????????????

:?

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
i thought that before!

Rhian33
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
That's a good point. No idea.

XMissySJx
12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
i also find it strange how ive used olbas oil to stop hutch chewing with mine and theyve been fine, and they also eat bunny eucalyptus sticks :?

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
i used to put a bowl of boiled water with a few drops of olbas oil in the lounge for matt at one stage, and i have also hung a tissue up over the pigs cage aswell in the summer because ches had hayfever! alot of people do that though don't they. so i don't know. :?

Santa
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I'd have thought it's slightly different because inhaling it probably doesn't get the same concentrations of the toxins into the body that ingesting it would.

Having said that, I don't use it anyway because I find it tends to be more of an irritant than a help to already inflamed airways.

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok this might be totally different because I was talking about rats when I had this discussion with my vet, but basically he said he would never use olbas oil or similar things on an animal with resp problems. I do use steam on my rats to help ease their chests but with nothing else like oils added

I am probably wrong and don't know much about resp problems in rabbits but my vet definitely advised against it

Jack's-Jane
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Ok this might be totally different because I was talking about rats when I had this discussion with my vet, but basically he said he would never use olbas oil or similar things on an animal with resp problems. I do use steam on my rats to help ease their chests but with nothing else like oils added

I am probably wrong and don't know much about resp problems in rabbits but my vet definitely advised against it

I dont use it myself but I have heard alot of Vets advise people to do so
That's what confused me :?

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
i stopped using it for matt on the vets advice aswell. so mustn't be good for them. i also seemed to think matt was worse with it. it is so strong it must sting in an already inflammed nose. i can't use it because it stings like mad. feels like it is burning me.

indigo
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
i stopped using it for matt on the vets advice aswell. so mustn't be good for them. i also seemed to think matt was worse with it. it is so strong it must sting in an already inflammed nose. i can't use it because it stings like mad. feels like it is burning me.

haha reminds me of an incident with my husband many years ago, he woke in the middle of the night all bunged up and unable to breathe, sympathetic me told him to go boil the kettle, fill a saucepan up with the water, chuck in a few drops of olbas oil, towel over head, breathe in deeply - job's a good un.

only being a man.... he thinks 2-3 drops just isn't enough. so put loads and loads and loads in, towel over head, breathed in deep, i don't think i've ever laughed so much in my life :lol:

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
haha reminds me of an incident with my husband many years ago, he woke in the middle of the night all bunged up and unable to breathe, sympathetic me told him to go boil the kettle, fill a saucepan up with the water, chuck in a few drops of olbas oil, towel over head, breathe in deeply - job's a good un.

only being a man.... he thinks 2-3 drops just isn't enough. so put loads and loads and loads in, towel over head, breathed in deep, i don't think i've ever laughed so much in my life :lol:

ouch! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I dont use it myself but I have heard alot of Vets advise people to do so
That's what confused me :?

I have seen the same on the rat forum when I was searching for info for my lads, it looked as if vets were advising people used it. It had also confused me that people were being advised to use it so when I went and checked he said no don't use anything like that because its likely to make it worse, which I kind of had a feeling it would when I saw people were doing it

Jack's-Jane
12-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Once when I had bad sinusitis I thought it'd be a good idea to put some into a steaming bath.
I got in the bath and.......well you can imagin the rest :shock:

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Jane I think I remember you posting that when it happened :lol: :lol: :lol:

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Once when I had bad sinusitis I thought it'd be a good idea to put some into a steaming bath.

:shock::lol:

Bunny Buddy

I hope it didn't involve a trip to A&E :shock::shock:

biscandmatt1
the post about the rabbit eating vicks has been updated.... it is poisonous to rabbits. :shock:

Jack's-Jane
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I hope it didn't involve a trip to A&E :shock::shock:

No, just a prompt cold showering of me vitals :)

Soz, probably too much information there :oops:

UsagiYojimbo
12-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Jack's Jane

According to the Poisonous Information Service (which I payed 15.05 to find out) it IS POISONOUS

see my post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=207703 Jemima has eaten viks and has had to have some treatment

Eucaluptous can cause diarrea which the vet said is very serious and requires them to have a drip ? Also CAN cause convulsions and/or fitting

Viks is a big no no

If ulbas oil contains eucaluptous it is not good

xxx

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 04:57 PM
olbas oil does contain it. i just checked.

UsagiYojimbo
12-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I was talking about eating it, however inhailing eucaluptus can cause burning nasal passage and/or mouth if they breathing through mouth.

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I was talking about eating it, however inhailing eucaluptus can cause burning nasal passage and/or mouth if they breathing through mouth.

how long does it last the burning? and what are people supposed to do if it happens?

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
how long does it last the burning? and what are people supposed to do if it happens?

Its generally not going to happen if you don't use the stuff on your buns, so I would just say don't use it hun :)

Do you mean you have used it today and now worry that it has caused some damage? Maybe check with your vet but mine has definitely said that he doesn't advise using it because it can cause irritation rather than help resp problems

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Its generally not going to happen if you don't use the stuff on your buns, so I would just say don't use it hun :)

Do you mean you have used it today and now worry that it has caused some damage? Maybe check with your vet but mine has definitely said that he doesn't advise using it because it can cause irritation rather than help resp problems

i just wondered because matt had it in the past and now i feel so guilty. just incase anyone ever mentions it i would like to know what they should do.

i bet matt felt like his nose was burning. :( his eyes went red aswell when i used it. was only in steam in the room away from them, up on a shelf.... but even so... feel bad now. :(

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok don't worry hun :) Did your vet tell you to use it? And have the resp problems cleared up? Is Matt ok now? If he has recovered I really wouldn't worry but if he is still being treated and you don't feel comfortable using it then just don't or at least check with a vet. I do trust my vets advice on this one when he says don't use this stuff

I doubt a bit of steam on a shelf in an open room would cause much harm really. I think the burning sensation would only happen if you actually forced them to inhale it from up close. Like on the rat forum I saw people advising to dissolve this stuff in a bowl of water and put it next to the cage, then cover the cage and the bowl with a towel so the rats had no choice but to inhale the vicks or olbas oil and this was what I asked my vet about because it didn't seem right to me

UsagiYojimbo
12-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Sorry I don't know I only know what my vet told me a few hours ago!!

Jemima had no burnt mouth when the vet looked, and she had EATEN viks, however her nose is runny now

I have to syringe water every two hours to ease any burning and dilute thr viks

xxx

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Ok don't worry hun :) Did your vet tell you to use it? And have the resp problems cleared up? Is Matt ok now? If he has recovered I really wouldn't worry but if he is still being treated and you don't feel comfortable using it then just don't or at least check with a vet. I do trust my vets advice on this one when he says don't use this stuff

I doubt a bit of steam on a shelf in an open room would cause much harm really. I think the burning sensation would only happen if you actually forced them to inhale it from up close. Like on the rat forum I saw people advising to dissolve this stuff in a bowl of water and put it next to the cage, then cover the cage and the bowl with a towel so the rats had no choice but to inhale the vicks or olbas oil and this was what I asked my vet about because it didn't seem right to me

it was ages ago and the vet suggested i stop using it. the old vets told me i think and i shouldn't have listened. :(

matt is still on treatment. been a long road if you read his thread. :(

i've read it alot, people using it to near cages. i wonder how many have had a burning nose from it. :( i think i read on the guinea pig forum about hanging a tissue with a few drops on above the cage to help them breathe. i should tell them.

what could you do though if they have already inhaled it??? just wait for the burning to stop??? i feel so guilty now.

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't know hun, I really doubt that the way you were doing it would have caused any burning and if it was a while ago try not to worry ok :) I guess it would probably only feel like burning while they are inhaling it and if it is close to them, I don't actually know if it does feel like burning or not. When my vet said about causing irritation I think he was referring to the situation I have described like when they are in an enclosed area with the stuff

biscandmatt1
12-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't know hun, I really doubt that the way you were doing it would have caused any burning and if it was a while ago try not to worry ok :) I guess it would probably only feel like burning while they are inhaling it and if it is close to them, I don't actually know if it does feel like burning or not. When my vet said about causing irritation I think he was referring to the situation I have described like when they are in an enclosed area with the stuff

just the thought of doing anything to hurt them. :(

well at least i won't be doing that again!

poor matt matt.

thanks hun... sorry... i panic .... alot! :roll:

SarahP
12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
i've read it alot, people using it to near cages. i wonder how many have had a burning nose from it. :( i think i read on the guinea pig forum about hanging a tissue with a few drops on above the cage to help them breathe. i should tell them.

That was probably me that said that, to be honest.

I have a guinea pig that suffers from excess mucus sometimes (although not often these days). Some olbas oil on a tissue near but not too near the cage works wonders.

I'd like to see some evidence that this is a bad thing (and what the alternative is, other than pumping them full of Bisolvon) before stopping this practice, although I don't do it very often.

I'm concerned that some of the 'eucalyptus is poison' messages that are going around aren't necessarily grounded in evidence. ie. in what form, in what concentrations, how taken, etc etc. I think the reality is that people don't really know, and obviously it's right to be cautious, but I think we just need to bear this in mind.

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
That was probably me that said that, to be honest.

I have a guinea pig that suffers from excess mucus sometimes (although not often these days). Some olbas oil on a tissue near but not too near the cage works wonders.

I'd like to see some evidence that this is a bad thing (and what the alternative is, other than pumping them full of Bisolvon) before stopping this practice, although I don't do it very often.

I think its more there is a difference between having a bit on a tissue or a bowl in the same room/near to the cage and actually forcing an animal to inhale nothing but olbas or vicks for a certain amount of time

I feel like I shouldn't have said anything now :( I didn't want to make anyone feel bad

I was just concerned to see people putting bowls next to their rats cages then covering the bowl then covering the lot with a towel and leaving the rats to inhale only this with no fresh air going in or out of the cage, this was the question I asked my vet about and he was answering my question about this way of using the stuff when he said it would do more harm than good

SarahP
12-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I think its more there is a difference between having a bit on a tissue or a bowl in the same room/near to the cage and actually forcing an animal to inhale nothing but olbas or vicks for a certain amount of time

I feel like I shouldn't have said anything now :( I didn't want to make anyone feel bad

I was just concerned to see people putting bowls next to their rats cages then covering the bowl then covering the lot with a towel and leaving the rats to inhale only this with no fresh air going in or out of the cage, this was the question I asked my vet about and he was answering my question about this way of using the stuff when he said it would do more harm than good

I totally agree with you. For example, I'd never have nebulised my pig with olbas oil, or have it in steamed water next to the cage. It's just about moderation I think, rather than a catch all no-no. That's just my personal view though, until more evidence comes to light.

sillyrabbit
12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I totally agree with you. For example, I'd never have nebulised my pig with olbas oil, or have it in steamed water next to the cage. It's just about moderation I think, rather than a catch all no-no. That's just my personal view though, until more evidence comes to light.

Yeah its just things like that I mean :wave:

Alison237
23-02-2010, 07:15 PM
This is all new to me, I didn't know that eucalyptus is thought to be toxic.

There are obviously mixed feelings about this, but for anyone that believes that this should not be used as a safe ingredient in small animal products, there is a petition to No.10 Downing Street for the people who would like to see this banned.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/baneucalyptus/

PearlyGirl
23-02-2010, 07:25 PM

:shock::lol: sorry!!! had to laugh, i have bad sinusitis too and thought if i put a few drops on either side of the bridge of my nose between my eyes it would work better......noe you can laugh at me, i was in agony :lol:

Shimmer
23-02-2010, 10:32 PM
My vet recommended Karvol for rabbits. It contains aromatic oils : pine, cinnamon and menthol. No eucalyptus. Use as you would Olbas. I put a few drops on a tissue and leave it on the outside of the bars / carrier etc where the bun can't get to it.