• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If Eucalyptus is Toxic to Rabbits.........

i also find it strange how ive used olbas oil to stop hutch chewing with mine and theyve been fine, and they also eat bunny eucalyptus sticks :?

i used to put a bowl of boiled water with a few drops of olbas oil in the lounge for matt at one stage, and i have also hung a tissue up over the pigs cage aswell in the summer because ches had hayfever! alot of people do that though don't they. so i don't know. :?

I'd have thought it's slightly different because inhaling it probably doesn't get the same concentrations of the toxins into the body that ingesting it would.

Having said that, I don't use it anyway because I find it tends to be more of an irritant than a help to already inflamed airways.

Ok this might be totally different because I was talking about rats when I had this discussion with my vet, but basically he said he would never use olbas oil or similar things on an animal with resp problems. I do use steam on my rats to help ease their chests but with nothing else like oils added

I am probably wrong and don't know much about resp problems in rabbits but my vet definitely advised against it

Ok this might be totally different because I was talking about rats when I had this discussion with my vet, but basically he said he would never use olbas oil or similar things on an animal with resp problems. I do use steam on my rats to help ease their chests but with nothing else like oils added

I am probably wrong and don't know much about resp problems in rabbits but my vet definitely advised against it

I dont use it myself but I have heard alot of Vets advise people to do so
That's what confused me :?

i stopped using it for matt on the vets advice aswell. so mustn't be good for them. i also seemed to think matt was worse with it. it is so strong it must sting in an already inflammed nose. i can't use it because it stings like mad. feels like it is burning me.

i stopped using it for matt on the vets advice aswell. so mustn't be good for them. i also seemed to think matt was worse with it. it is so strong it must sting in an already inflammed nose. i can't use it because it stings like mad. feels like it is burning me.

haha reminds me of an incident with my husband many years ago, he woke in the middle of the night all bunged up and unable to breathe, sympathetic me told him to go boil the kettle, fill a saucepan up with the water, chuck in a few drops of olbas oil, towel over head, breathe in deeply - job's a good un.

only being a man.... he thinks 2-3 drops just isn't enough. so put loads and loads and loads in, towel over head, breathed in deep, i don't think i've ever laughed so much in my life :lol:

haha reminds me of an incident with my husband many years ago, he woke in the middle of the night all bunged up and unable to breathe, sympathetic me told him to go boil the kettle, fill a saucepan up with the water, chuck in a few drops of olbas oil, towel over head, breathe in deeply - job's a good un.

only being a man.... he thinks 2-3 drops just isn't enough. so put loads and loads and loads in, towel over head, breathed in deep, i don't think i've ever laughed so much in my life :lol:

ouch! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

I dont use it myself but I have heard alot of Vets advise people to do so
That's what confused me :?

I have seen the same on the rat forum when I was searching for info for my lads, it looked as if vets were advising people used it. It had also confused me that people were being advised to use it so when I went and checked he said no don't use anything like that because its likely to make it worse, which I kind of had a feeling it would when I saw people were doing it

Once when I had bad sinusitis I thought it'd be a good idea to put some into a steaming bath.
I got in the bath and.......well you can imagin the rest :shock:

Hi Jack's Jane

According to the Poisonous Information Service (which I payed £15.05 to find out) it IS POISONOUS

see my post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=207703 Jemima has eaten viks and has had to have some treatment

Eucaluptous can cause diarrea which the vet said is very serious and requires them to have a drip ? Also CAN cause convulsions and/or fitting

Viks is a big no no

If ulbas oil contains eucaluptous it is not good

xxx

Back