• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye problems

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I'm really upset and worried about my new bunny. I was told he occassionally got runny eyes due to blocked tear ducts, and the vet flushes his eyes and gives him drops.

He's turned up today barely able to open one eye, the fur around both eyes is sticky. He saw a vet on wednesday, who gave him more drops and said hes ok.

My mum said that we should bring him indoors and maybe change him off sawdust bedding. Any advice? I am going to take him to my vet.. but i'd like to know what i'm talking about when i go, so i can be sure he gets the right and the best treatment.

Also he had a weird patch on his nose :? the skins a bit dry and flakey on the top of his nose.

Definitely change him off sawdust, but it does sound like the treatment he is having isn't working, hope you vets can help him.

I'm beginning to wonder if it could be tooth related.. he's been drooling a little bit, but that could be from the stress of moving.
He's been fed of musli for 4+ years.. so maybe worth investigating?

I'm really upset and worried about my new bunny. I was told he occassionally got runny eyes due to blocked tear ducts, and the vet flushes his eyes and gives him drops.

He's turned up today barely able to open one eye, the fur around both eyes is sticky. He saw a vet on wednesday, who gave him more drops and said hes ok.

My mum said that we should bring him indoors and maybe change him off sawdust bedding. Any advice? I am going to take him to my vet.. but i'd like to know what i'm talking about when i go, so i can be sure he gets the right and the best treatment.

Also he had a weird patch on his nose :? the skins a bit dry and flakey on the top of his nose.

:wave: Hi Lillian, I would straight away stop using sawdust and then I would clean his eye - really gently with cotton wool pad - using just warm (cooled boiled) water you need to do a clean pad with each wipe and wash your hands first. I would do that every 2-3 hours inc on the nose 3-4 wipes. He will need to be kept out of any draughts and warmer than usual aswell, obviously if he already has an ongoing condition then the vet does need to advise but, that might help keep it clean and ease his discomfort. I take it he is still eating and alright in himself apart from the eye? You could get him some dill and (strawberry/raspberry/blackberry) leaves - hayexperts do dried and that might help his immune system build up - how long have you gone before the eye flushing, what I mean is how often is he having that done?

Yeah I would clean his eye like Vicki said

When did you get him? Who took him to the vet his previous owner? Have you been told exactly what the vet checked for?

Drooling really doesn't sound stress related to me, I would definitely get his teeth checked as soon as possible hun

Thank you for the advice VickiP, taken on board :):wave:

Sillyrabbit - I got him a few hours ago. Yes, his previous owner took him to the vets. They flushed his eyes a few weeks ago and he's been on drops since then. He had a check up 3 days ago. I was told the vet isn't very rabbit savvy.

I haven't seen him eat yet, he's rather quiet. His previous owner said he's not very active, he tends to just sit around all the time :?

If he needs his teeth doing, would it be safe to neuter him at the same time? We attempted this with my healthy dental bun Bugs and he nearly died during the op. But i think two ops for a bunny in this condition isn't a good idea :?

I honestly don't know hun, one of my rats had a lump removed and the vet said if you want to neuter consider doing it now but I decided against it because he had no aggression problems. The vet didn't seem to think it would be any worse for him having the neuter at the same time but I think it depends on the animal and the original op they are having so best to ask your vet :)

Thank you for the advice VickiP, taken on board :):wave:

Sillyrabbit - I got him a few hours ago. Yes, his previous owner took him to the vets. They flushed his eyes a few weeks ago and he's been on drops since then. He had a check up 3 days ago. I was told the vet isn't very rabbit savvy.

I haven't seen him eat yet, he's rather quiet. His previous owner said he's not very active, he tends to just sit around all the time :?

If he needs his teeth doing, would it be safe to neuter him at the same time? We attempted this with my healthy dental bun Bugs and he nearly died during the op. But i think two ops for a bunny in this condition isn't a good idea :?

:wave: Is this the big grey one? Bless - you have got to get him eating asap what have you tempted him with - I would be inclined to lay out a buffet of lots of things and let him eat 3 or 4 and then take the others away and give him a bit more of the ones he has eaten. Be patient though he will need lots of quiet time and rest. Gently do his eye and buffet and put lots of hay and some pellets and a bowl of water and let him sleep for a couple of hours before doing the eye again. The eye may be linked to the teeth as the OP said, they can check his teeth at the pre-op check and then if he needs work I would get it all done at the same time personally while he is under. Hopefully you won't have the eye flushing thing do (if it is tooth related) I would be inclined to keep it nice and clean initially - he may have an infection and its related to the recent flushing some residual gunk? Keep him warm and chilled - have you got some fibreplex to give him in a bit of nana?

hi

We have a bun called angel who had to have her eye flushed every few days then weeks then months hers is caused because of her teeth they are very high rooted and luckily our rabbit vet gave her a x-ray to see what was going on where we found out that her tear duct is actually shutting down her next eye flush could have killed her.
Why did they want rid of the bun (you did say diff owner didnt you) it sounds like that they may have been told that he could be a dental/exspensive bunny worse case is he may need dentals every few month. It def sounds like he may have dental issues with dribbles and not eating YOU MUST get him to eat if he doesnt eat his stomachs will start shutting down and this will kill him try sloppy weetabix made with water or porridge even bread anything to keep his guts moving. Book him in asap for checkup and if he isnt any better then ring your e,mergency vet he must eat. He may also need pain relief so best to check with vet.
Has he had his wormers etc/vaccines etc?
As for neuter your vet will say whats best if hes not well it may be too much stress for him. This is worse case though obv only you know how bad he looks etc and untill you see your vet cant really help.
I know we tried many eye drops but none worked is there like white gunge coming out of eye also? you can try rubbing your finger up the tear duct from the nose to the eye duct this may encourage any crystals to pop out that may be blocking it (we do this regular with angel our vet told us)
fingers crossed its nothing

Can you find out when his previous owners last saw him eat?

I think I would call the vet if it was me hun :( Is he showing any interest in food at all? Are you feeding the same food he has been having at his previous owners?

It is important that he eats but I am not sure weetabix would be a very good idea, is it not quite high in salt and sugar? Wouldn't want an upset tummy too, I can't imagine weetabix is very good for a bunnies digestive system. Porridge made with water would probably be a safer option that cereals like weetabix :)

Back