• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice re: overgrown roots

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
After being admitted for 5 days, my friend's bun with stasis had had x-rays and the diagnosis is elongated roots growing into her jaw.
The friend has said "she's on painkillers, antibiotics and two types of gut stimulant right now. between last night and this morning she has eaten tiny amounts of apple, banana, hay and biscuit. she has to be syringe fed mashed up pellets and recovery stuff. this will work in the short term until her quality of life declines, there's nothing that can be done for the long term. "

Does this sound about right? I have no idea about tooth root problems but I don't want my friend to fall victim to a not-so-bunny-savvy vet misdiagnosing her rabbit - she's only young but came from an accidental litter I think so who knows what the health in her lineage was like.
I remember reading about chinchillas with root problems once and sure I read something about dental work shaping the molars and removing all the spurs could help slow down the advance of the roots, but this was years ago and no idea how true it was/if it'd apply to rabbits :?

It's difficult to say for certain if the tooth roots are causing the unwillingness to eat. I have a bun with tooth root elongation who eats like a horse, and equally buns with perfect teeth who stop eating at the drop of a hat.

If the bun has stopped eating suddenly, then IMO she should at least be treated for a suspected infection.

It's difficult to say for certain if the tooth roots are causing the unwillingness to eat. I have a bun with tooth root elongation who eats like a horse, and equally buns with perfect teeth who stop eating at the drop of a hat.

If the bun has stopped eating suddenly, then IMO she should at least be treated for a suspected infection.

She is on antibiotics, not sure what for though. They also apparently suspect E.C. as she was drinking a lot when admitted so they're doing a bloodtest. Not sure if they're just thorough, seems a lot of expensive procedures being recommended :/

We found out over 2 years ago that Homer had elongated roots and this is "controlled" by regular dentals. He eats fine (but will not eat hay) and we take him for a dental before any problems occur so as to try to avoid any statis. Homer will be 7 next year.

We found out over 2 years ago that Homer had elongated roots and this is "controlled" by regular dentals. He eats fine (but will not eat hay) and we take him for a dental before any problems occur so as to try to avoid any statis. Homer will be 7 next year.

Can I ask what kind of diet Homer has as my friend is interested to know. She's said that the bun has started eating some hay today which is good news, but not interested in pellets at all (which sounds odd for a bunny!), I have suggested trying SS as she currently feeds PAH's pellets.

Back