• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are you ever scared of falling in love with your animals

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Because you know that compared to us they have such short lives.

Its a bit silly but i am scared of loving them, when i know i will lose them. I can't imagine my life without my animals.
I try not to get too attached at first, but it never works. They are a vital part of my life.

Sorry, i'm just a bit down.

Take a look at an old thread...titled Thought this was bittersweet....I wrote it ages ago.Saw your post and thought of it.xxxx

Chin up.xxxxxxxxx

Nope! I love my bunnys soooo much, there my little pot of gold @ the end of my rainbow and make my day everytime i see them binky, or they groom me :love: I know they have much shorter lives but glad there short lives were with me and not someone nasty

awww - I think that is what makes us all so special that we love our buns so much..

I have never had to experience a bunny going to the bridge yet as my two are my first pets ... I think about it all the time as I cant even look at some of the tributes on here without crying my eyes out :cry: - i keep telling myself not to get too attached but i already have and love them to bits :oops:

I think animals are there to be loved. I love my pets so much sometimes it hurts. Lopsie, Grim and Cheech have been my 'special' ones. When I thought I was going to loose Grim I can't describe how low I felt. I just spent hours hugging him and crying. When I lost Lopsie it was like loosing a family member. No, I did loose a family member and I still sometimes cry about him almost six years later.

But that is no reason not to love them with all your heart. My animals bring me so much joy and when I'm going through my depression they are the thing that makes me get up in the morning because I know they need me. And therefore I need them.

Loving them is the best part. Loosing them is always hard, but when you know how happy they've been with you and how happy you've been with them. Don't mourn their death, celebrate their life.

And you know how the saying goes: It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. :)

since losing my two cats (one who was only 10 months old) last year i have got pretty morbid when it comes to pets. most mornings i am a bit worried about going outside to ruby in case something bad has happened, and it absolutlely freaks me out when reggie is flopped on his side in his cage! i always think the worst! however though, i wouldn't be without them and they make me happy. If i let it worry me too much i would not have any pets and i think i would be a bit depressed. they give us happiness and we give them happiness :)

we love all our pets soo much like they are our kids :love: although we were sad that we had to let mowgli go, we knew it was the right thing and best for him, its a shame they can't be around forever, just like any human being too
look forward to every day and treasure the memories that way they live on in us forever

i love my rio soo much :love:

cas

To be honest, yes. I don't feel love for any of my animals. It's turned off (along with the rest of my emotions) purely because it hurts an unbearable amount to lose them. In my head I know I love them, but I don't feel it most of the time. My actions show I love them too. When they go, I normally feel nothing nowadays, just carry on like they were never there.

Must admit I sometimes walk round the house and think all these lovely animals are going to die at some point :cry::cry: I guess loosing 27 bunnies in one year makes you think like that sometimes. But thankfully the good thoughts definately out weigh the bad ones and I love them all to pieces :love:

I think animals are there to be loved. I love my pets so much sometimes it hurts. Lopsie, Grim and Cheech have been my 'special' ones. When I thought I was going to loose Grim I can't describe how low I felt. I just spent hours hugging him and crying. When I lost Lopsie it was like loosing a family member. No, I did loose a family member and I still sometimes cry about him almost six years later.

But that is no reason not to love them with all your heart. My animals bring me so much joy and when I'm going through my depression they are the thing that makes me get up in the morning because I know they need me. And therefore I need them.

Loving them is the best part. Loosing them is always hard, but when you know how happy they've been with you and how happy you've been with them. Don't mourn their death, celebrate their life.

And you know how the saying goes: It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. :)

That was almost poetical! So sweet! I feel exactly the smae way.

That's just made me cry :cry::cry::cry:

I thought I was getting 'used' to losing our beloved animals, after losing so many this year - but losing Emily on Thursday has absolutely gutted me :cry: Normally after a day or two - I can start to come to terms with losing them & remember the good times. However, I loved Emily so much & had such a special bond with her - I just can't bring myself round at the moment & feel so low :cry:

I know having animals, means you have to be able to deal with losing them - but I've even found myself saying today we can't rehome any more buns in the future, because it hurts so much at the moment :cry: I've never said that with the other buns we've lost, because I know there are so many needy ones that need help. I know time helps to heal & therefore that we will think about adopting again in future - but not for the time being.

Thats lovely, i agree... losing saffy recently just crippled me with grief, guilt, anger (at myself) its horrible and i look at my others and sometimes feel panicky that perhaps they'd be safer with someone else, i dont feel i deserve their love sometimes... but i know they love me when they meet a stranger or i take them to the vets because they look to me for reassurance and comfort, they recognise im their mum which feels good.

I treasure every second i have with them, i take loads of pics to makesure i have all those memories kept safe, am so glad i have so many lovely photos of saffy to remind me how very special she was and all the little things she did.

Yes, I am terrified.

We had a dog when we were kids, who gave birth to pups when I was about 12 (sorry to those who have heard the story). As she was giving birth to the pups they were cold as she had 10. I took one with a little white flash on his head and put him on my tummy under my dressing gown for warmth.

He was the most special animal I have ever owned (sorry to Biscuit!). He was wonderful, and I am still crying as I type this. I grew up with him, and he was my shoulder to cry on when I went through the worst of my times, he would sit with me and cuddle me when I cried and lick my face or nibble my chin until I laughed. I had the most incredible bond with him.

Almost two years ago he was diagnosed with leukemia. By that time I was living down south, and used to go home as often as I could. Everytime I went home I thought it would be the last time I saw him and I lay with him for hours holding him, stroking him and crying.

He passed away just over 18 months ago. I cannot watch the videos I have of him, I am finally able to put a picture of him on my wall. He is still the screensaver on my phone.

I have never felt loss like it, and I have lost family members, grandparents, friends. It still hurts like hell, and I can't imagine a day when I can think of him and not weep for having lost him.

I vowed when I lost him that I would never get another pet. But if I were to go through my life without loving again then what sort of life would that be.

He will always be my special, special boy, he is one of the main reasons I am still here. If it wasn't for him when I was low, I would not be here today. My life is so much the richer for having loved him, and for all the pain I would not give that up for a single second.

I am now blubbing uncontrollably, and I am sorry to have hijacked the thread! :cry:

Yes, I am terrified.

We had a dog when we were kids, who gave birth to pups when I was about 12 (sorry to those who have heard the story). As she was giving birth to the pups they were cold as she had 10. I took one with a little white flash on his head and put him on my tummy under my dressing gown for warmth.

He was the most special animal I have ever owned (sorry to Biscuit!). He was wonderful, and I am still crying as I type this. I grew up with him, and he was my shoulder to cry on when I went through the worst of my times, he would sit with me and cuddle me when I cried and lick my face or nibble my chin until I laughed. I had the most incredible bond with him.

Almost two years ago he was diagnosed with leukemia. By that time I was living down south, and used to go home as often as I could. Everytime I went home I thought it would be the last time I saw him and I lay with him for hours holding him, stroking him and crying.

He passed away just over 18 months ago. I cannot watch the videos I have of him, I am finally able to put a picture of him on my wall. He is still the screensaver on my phone.

I have never felt loss like it, and I have lost family members, grandparents, friends. It still hurts like hell, and I can't imagine a day when I can think of him and not weep for having lost him.

I vowed when I lost him that I would never get another pet. But if I were to go through my life without loving again then what sort of life would that be.

He will always be my special, special boy, he is one of the main reasons I am still here. If it wasn't for him when I was low, I would not be here today. My life is so much the richer for having loved him, and for all the pain I would not give that up for a single second.

I am now blubbing uncontrollably, and I am sorry to have hijacked the thread! :cry:

:cry::cry::cry:
What it is to love someone,be it a pet or a human,so bad.
It makes your heart contract.x

I think I understand what you mean, when Bungle came to us, I physically felt myself fall in love with him. He was the most adored bunny by both of us. He was our realy baby and our lives revolved around him. (We both have kids from previous relationships and we wont be having any of our own so Bungle was it). When he died, it broke both of our hearts and we miss him every day. We do love the new buns, we love spending time with them but we are not 'in love' to the same extent. Its the same with our cats.

Bungle was so special, he was our little gift from heaven, he lived in the house with us and cuddled up with us every night sharing his time equaly between us. We truely believe that he came into our lives for a reason and thats why now we are on this forum, why we have 5 bunnies now and why we even got our christmas cards from Rainbow and why we built Bungle Palace. If we could have more buns, we would and we will continue having them now for the rest of our lives. When Bungle died, (at the vets during his neuter) we were totally devastated.

Our new buns are not grateful or loving they dont even want us to stroke them much but they are totally reliant on us to take care of them and love them and that in itself makes us love them.

I love my animals, because they do live such a short life, that if we didn't love them, then it would of been a waste of a life. I spoil and love my rats, even though they'll probably only live a few years, but they deserve to be loved. Same with Molly too, don't know how long she'll live, so I love her and spoil her cos I don't know how long she's got.

That's just made me cry :cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make anyone cry. :(
I believe that loving my animals is the best part of having them.

Lopsie was my first and I honestly believed he would live forever. He was found on the side of a busy road in Manchester and lived with me for eight years. Just before I went to university he got an abscess but after treatment from the vet he stopped eating. He wouldn't let us feed him properly with recovery food and after two days couldn't walk. I spent the night with him and took him to the vets the next day and asked them to let him go. It broke me.

It was three years before I got another pet.

We had Cheech for a while before someone asked if I'd take Grim. When I first got him, his actions were so similar to Lopsie's I couldn't help but cry. Even now I sometimes think of him as Lopsie in my head. Both buns I got by chance and the part of me that believes in the supernatural thinks that maybe he's Lopsie come back to me. I know it's silly but the similarities were ridiculous. Lopsie was never neutered and after getting Grim done he's changed a bit, but before... it was scary.

I don't think you can get used to loosing them. I know it's morbid, but everyone dies and I don't stop loving my family and friends because one day they will be gone. I treat animals probably better than I treat people and that means loving them. They are my life. They always come first. Without them I wouldn't be who I am.

No never.
I'd hate to have an animal and for it to think I don't love it.
The joys of their life outweigh the total devestation of their loss.

nope, i love being inlove with my animals :love::love:

and everytime Alvin has stasis and i cry solid for a week :oops: or Pearl looks off and im worried its time, crying again..

i wouldnt change it for the world, i love my pets so deep its a physical pain when they are poorly.. but i prefer that to being void of emotions

as hard as it will be when Pearl goes i will also look forward to falling inlove again with the next bunny

Back