• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have I found a fab bunny vet,or what!!!!!!I want to change!! Help!!

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Rubes the Parrot is a poorly girl,so I rang my vet to see if they knew of any avian vets.I got given a number and rang it.Spoke to a wonderful gent called Ian Sayers.Popped in to see him this evening and to get parrot food as Ruby is selective feeding...and guess what??????? He is only one of the vets linked to the Bristol Uni that did something or other with a very well known bunny organisation!!! Yay hay!!!
He was just about to say select feeding and explain it when I said I had bunnies and they can select feed...one with curvature of the spine....he nodded knowingly and asked about her too!!!
Not that my vet isnt really lovely but I know they arent all that bunny savvy.....now I can rest.
Actually,they did say that if my bunnies/parrot is poorly,they would want their own vet to refer them and I said Rubes hasnt got a vet...but my bunnies have so why cant I just change if I want to???????

Last edited:
My rabbits are registered at two (some of them three) different vets, and I pick which vet for which procedure.
Can't you just register them?

I wouldn't have thought so.

I went looking for another vet when Cherry was ill, rather than asking for an expensive referal.

I was travelling 1hr 30 mins with the bun, I now travel 40 minutes :) which is much better for the buns too

I would have thought you could take them to whichever vet you wanted as it is you who is paying :?

I take my two to a different vet for vaccinations as they are quite a bit cheaper and it all adds up when myxi and VHD are due for 2 bunnies (£20 saving)

There is no reason why you can't leave your old vet and move the bunnies to the new vet. But my vet will not let you be registered with 2 vets at the same time.

Its not a good idea to be registered at 2 vets at once EXCEPT if you have vax done at one and everything else at the second. but even then its not the best idea. Also, it is best to change vets via referral rather than just moving.

This is mainly because histories get lost or confused, and/or treatment protocols get altered. If you move from one vets to another the new vet has to ask for the history of your animals from the old vet. This can be quite difficult and embarassing for both parties, especially if the old vet doesnt know you have moved. Its kind of more polite to tell your old vet you are moving, and why preferably, so that your history can be sent to the new practice. This still applies if you want a second opinion on something or to try a treatment your old vet doesnt do.

The problem with having a "vax vet" and a "treatment vet" is if your vax vet notices something that needs treatment, or thinks a current condition or treatment needs changing. This will get very complicated on who you then get to treat your bun, especially if neither practice are aware that you have another vet.

I do understand why people have 2, especially if vax are much cheaper at one. But i have seen the cases, especially emergencies, when it all gets confused and complicated and a very emotional owner isnt able to explain the on-going conditions and treatments so therapies are delayed, which ultimately is detrimental to the animal. is it really worth it?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but its one of those issues that people sometimes dont think about until it happens.

Its not a good idea to be registered at 2 vets at once EXCEPT if you have vax done at one and everything else at the second. but even then its not the best idea. Also, it is best to change vets via referral rather than just moving.

This is mainly because histories get lost or confused, and/or treatment protocols get altered. If you move from one vets to another the new vet has to ask for the history of your animals from the old vet. This can be quite difficult and embarassing for both parties, especially if the old vet doesnt know you have moved. Its kind of more polite to tell your old vet you are moving, and why preferably, so that your history can be sent to the new practice. This still applies if you want a second opinion on something or to try a treatment your old vet doesnt do.

The problem with having a "vax vet" and a "treatment vet" is if your vax vet notices something that needs treatment, or thinks a current condition or treatment needs changing. This will get very complicated on who you then get to treat your bun, especially if neither practice are aware that you have another vet.

I do understand why people have 2, especially if vax are much cheaper at one. But i have seen the cases, especially emergencies, when it all gets confused and complicated and a very emotional owner isnt able to explain the on-going conditions and treatments so therapies are delayed, which ultimately is detrimental to the animal. is it really worth it?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but its one of those issues that people sometimes dont think about until it happens.

All very valid.I thankyou.....
the new vet is further way I admit...and me thinks a little more expensive..dunno prices yet...
How will my old vet feel if I leave???

I have changed vets 5 times :lol: My current vet is a bit further away, and more expensive but it is so worth it to be confident in your vet. I wouldn't worry about how your vet will feel, tbh he probably won't even notice. If you really feel bad say you are moving near this other vet?

Back