• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rim around eye slightly red...?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm being accused of over reacting and worse case scenario-ing. :roll:

Just went to put the bunnies in from their run in the garage and picked Barney up. His left eye did not look right to me. The eye itself is fine. Clear, not watering. Around the eye where the fur is thinnest looked more pink than the other one. All the way around. It's not hot to the touch or swollen or anything, it's just visibly pinker.

Which has me being all AAAAH! MYXI! :oops:

Which means I just checked him all over for lumps or bumps, checked his vaccination card, held him up to take a peek at his boy bits and obsessively watched as he ate his food.

Is there anything else that might make his eyelid look a little pink? :( He had one strand of fur in the corner, but they've all had that before without obvious irritation.

I feel all queasy and panicky!

:wave: Could be he has scratched it, or poked himself with a bit of hay - try gently wiping it with cooled boiled water on cotton wool pad using a clean one for each wipe do this for 24-48 hours and if it doesn't get worse leave it and allow lots of rest and check it everyday but, if it gets worse (starts to swell, or produce any gunk go the vet. My little male bun had a weepy eye this week started on the Monday night just watery but, did look a bit red round the eyelid and I just cleaned it 2-3 times a day 2-3 wipes (important to use a clean piece each wipe and have clean hands) and by Thurs morning, gone back to normal - I did keep him quiet and went out knowing he would sleep more (he's indoor and nosey) and he was fine, I know how you feel though cause I thought that - especially as he has just been neutered last week and had the vet again on Tues - stress! Hopefully it will be just a scratch or tiredness and will rectify itself - no need to panick at the mo.:)

I've been obsessively popping out to check over the past few hours. :oops: The redness has eased off, and I saw that on the lid beneath the eye where it was most red, it actually looked like it had been scraped? We're wondering if perhaps he was being ungentlemanly to Amber and as she ran off flicking her feet, she might have caught him under the eye? The eye itself has remained fine with no watering or soreness. It's definitely less red than it was, though.

Back