• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Splitting baby bunnies??

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Ok... so ive had Scamp and Tinkerbell nearly a month now! (Time has flown!) When they arrived the vet estimated them between 3-5 weeks, which makes them somewhere between 7-9 weeks now :?

Tinkerbell has grown loads but Scamp is still a little dot. They really rely on each other, Scamp follows her everywhere and is always trying to cuddle upto her.

Tinkerbell has now found her forever home!! :D :D So i need to split them up very soon... :cry: Do i literally just part them and thats it? Do i need to leave them in seperate cages side by side for a few days? Or would it be best just to take Tinkerbell out when her new mummy arrives?

The thought of it makes me really sad :( I know they cant stay together for obvious reasons!!

i have a similar dilemma.
our 'surprise' litter are nine weeks now and i am keeping one of the three.
i thought i might take out the two that are going to new homes and put them
in the spare hutch that someone kindly lent me.
that way they get used to being away from mum before they leave, she gets
used to being away from them.
and also i can make sure they are eating/drinking ok on their own.
but....
its soooo cold now that i am loathed to take them out as they all snuggle
together.:cry:
they arent going quite yet. the girl is being collected a bit nearer christmas,
and the boy is currently on here waiting for his new home offer:cry:

From what happened with Ruby and Ted, I'd separate them when she's collected. I think that if they are together...but separate, they'll get more upset, as they would see each other/smell each other, but not be able to cuddle.

Thats for that Ali, i think thats what im going to do :( I'll leave them together until Lyn collects Tinkerbell :love:

Scamp is gonna be devestated! :(

Thats for that Ali, i think thats what im going to do :( I'll leave them together until Lyn collects Tinkerbell :love:

Scamp is gonna be devestated! :(

If I were you then I'd leave his litter tray for a week (or at least leave some of it) as both of my buns came with poo bags with some litter in it, so they smelt home.

Just keep cuddling him and he'll be fine. All bunnies leave their mums at some point, and so long as their stimulated (and possibly have a cuddly toy) they'll forget that they're lonely pretty quickly.

Scamp might start growing more too....if Tinks is having the lions share of food!

If I were you then I'd leave his litter tray for a week (or at least leave some of it) as both of my buns came with poo bags with some litter in it, so they smelt home.

Just keep cuddling him and he'll be fine. All bunnies leave their mums at some point, and so long as their stimulated (and possibly have a cuddly toy) they'll forget that they're lonely pretty quickly.

Scamp might start growing more too....if Tinks is having the lions share of food!

Thats strange... i wonder if Lyn will want to take a bag of poo home?? :lol: :oops:

Sky-O thats confused me now :( I only live in a small bungalow, so if i do seperate before hand, they will have to be side by side... after speaking to the OH he thinks thats cruel??

Tinkerbell definately eats all the food, so im sure Scamp will gain weight when she leaves :)

Lets hope some more people come along and give their opinions :?

Thats strange... i wonder if Lyn will want to take a bag of poo home?? :lol: :oops:

Sky-O thats confused me now :( I only live in a small bungalow, so if i do seperate before hand, they will have to be side by side... after speaking to the OH he thinks thats cruel??

Tinkerbell definately eats all the food, so im sure Scamp will gain weight when she leaves :)

Lets hope some more people come along and give their opinions :?

Yes, a poo bag helps with young buns!!

If they would have to be side by side then I wouldn't do it, as it's worse for them to see each other without being able to shnuggle!!

...although that would have been a good idea if they could have been completely separated. I hope someone comes along to help more...

I'm just going by what I've known my breeder friends do.

The reason they separate them and make them stable is to ensure they are as stable as possible before going to a new home. What I'm not sure about though, is how much of that is related to weaning and mum's milk, because that's obviously not an issue for you.

I think keeping them next to each other, and maybe allowing shared playtimes, would be a gentle way to do it, but, again, that's just my opinion.

Is there no way they could stay bonded and go to a home together?

Becky's keeping Scamp herself. Tinks is leaving to go to a home with Lyn (Indigo). It sounds like it's important for Scamp to have some alone time, as he needs to grow. When the better eater is removed, the "runt" (for want of a better word) will start to grow properly, and will thrive.

I think it sounds harder to do because there are just two of them. Maybe you could ask people with Fosters who had to remove some. *Spider* did this with Winter. Both you and Lyn will watch out for any pining there might be, so try not to worry, but give lots of fuss!

Sorry, I'll shut up.

Why?! Please don't shut up! I think we're going from advise by two breeder friends! :lol: Both are probably right, and either would be fine.

The only experience I've had of splitting buns and having them side by side (when Ophelia was ill after her spay...she later died:( ) was Hugo going mad at the fact that he couldn't get close enough to lie with her and lick her. It caused him so much stress I moved Ophelia.

I dont think there would be any benefit to Tinks to be split early, as you already know she is eating well and nice and healthy.

I think Scamp does benefit from the companionship (but not the food competition! :lol:) so they might as well stay together until Tinks is picked up. As he's a housebun and well handled, he'll just rely on you a little more for companionship.

If you're keeping him, how soon are you going to get him a new friend? or are you bonding him with the others when he's grown?

Back