• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i think my vet might have told me a very naughty lie...

Kloy

Warren Scout
My castrated male Rambo keeps mounting and proper thrusting my unneauteured (for health reasons before anyone has a go :( ) doe Lola :shock:

To be fair he also keeps doing the same to her head and side...but still, should I be concerned? he's been done a good few weeks now :?

when was he neutered? they can still remain fertile for upto 3-4weeks after the procedure, at times in the season they can still get hormonal, my rosie is a right madam every year end january :oops::oops:

:wave: I would be concerned if it's constant - like anything it can become a bit much for the doe and to intervene and give her a break wouldn't hurt as long as they can still see each other and nose touch etc Little tyke will get on her nerves eventually otherwise.:roll::lol:

Last edited:
Without digging out the invoice (which is at home) i can't be sure but I'm pretty sure if was at least 3 weeks if not 4....the vet said that he should be completely sterile after about 2 weeks but we held off a bit longer to get the kitchen sorted.....

Without digging out the invoice (which is at home) i can't be sure but I'm pretty sure if was at least 3 weeks if not 4....the vet said that he should be completely sterile after about 2 weeks but we held off a bit longer to get the kitchen sorted.....

I was told to be safe 1 month minimum but, you should be OK hopefully.

Thanks for all swift responses!

O god I hope it'll be ok! I'm going to hunt the vet down and make him adopt all bunny babies if not!

I don't know whether to separate them or not now, but I suppose if he still has swimming little soldiers the damage is already done, so I may as well persevere? Thoughts anyone? Pleaaaaaase :oops:

:wave: Yes I don't mean separate them totally but, she might need a rest if it's constant even just an hour in pens side by side so she can flop out - or is he giving her a bit of breating space?

Yeah just saw that response! Thankyou :)

Posted in behaviour and bonding first, but then realised more people probably browse here.

To be honest I'm now more than a little it terrified about the possibility that this is going to end in kits. Fingers crossed for a sterile little man.

Did you only start bonding today? If so mounting is normal. Tho I am inclined to agree 2 weeks is not long enough. :shock:

Atm he's too bust munching to pay her much mind, which I think she's quite enjoying. I'm inclined to hope that it's dominance mounting as opposed to sexual because he's only doing it when she tries to have a nibble at some hay or sit in the cage.

Don't keep taking them apart from each other, as then they'll have to start the bond again, and he'll hump just as much. If she isn't getting too annoyed then leave them be. They might go around in circles, and pull each others fur, but that's fine! If they properly fight then separate them and try in a few weeks.

Atm he's too bust munching to pay her much mind, which I think she's quite enjoying. I'm inclined to hope that it's dominance mounting as opposed to sexual because he's only doing it when she tries to have a nibble at some hay or sit in the cage.

Thats good he is letting her rest, yes I thought dominance mounting as opposed to sexual aswell, just got the impression it was full on which can be a bit tiring for the doe - is she eating alright etc?

Thats good he is letting her rest, yes I thought dominance mounting as opposed to sexual aswell, just got the impression it was full on which can be a bit tiring for the doe - is she eating alright etc?

Atm she's holed herself up in a carrier so I've given her some hay and a little bit of feed to munch on. He's in the litter tray scoffing all of the hay in there. Little wretch!

A male is fertile for up to 6weeks after the castration.

^This.

I would go against everyone here and say separate them until at leats 2 months after the operation.

If she has health reasons to not be spayed then she has health reasons to not have kits, and if she is older than a year then she would struggle to deliver a litter and its not worth the risk.

:cry: I think I'm going to separate them then and try again in Jan?

Seeing as they have been together (my fault for being ignorant and stupid) how would I know if she got knocked up? Or would I not until she gave birth? :shock:

Back