• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold Weather

clarebear

Mama Doe
Okay, so they say we are going to have a cold weekend :(
Looks like it could get down to -3 in the north. What do you do to keep your rabbit warm?

Is it best to bring them indoors, give them a snugglesafe, or just extra bedding and wrap up the hutch?

I use extra bedding and cover hutches with that silver loft insulation you can get in b&q. I've never had a prob with bonded pairs they just snuggle to keep warm. I have a singleton who not able to be bonded yet so have ordered him a snugglesafe.

I was thinking of getting my singleton a snugglsafe too. Have you used them before. I'm not sure if Bramble would use one or not?

Last year (my first as a bunny owner) I worried so much!

This year I am less concerned. All are waterproof, and have tarps around them, when it gets really cold on a longer period I will stuff the sleeping areas with hay. but I don't lock them up and even on the coldest, frostiest/ snowiest days they will still be found in the run! Therefore, In doing bits bunt not bothering if you see what I mean!

but I don't lock them up and even on the coldest, frostiest/ snowiest days they will still be found in the run!
QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Many a day have I stood outside freezing to death whilst bunnies are happily binkeying about!

My bunnys live in a group of 5, and usally when i go to open them up in the morning, there so warm and toasty :love:
I usally put a snuggle safe in,lock them up early to give the shed a chance to heat up, and provide lots of snuggley bedding and fleecey lovleyness :love:

I have always left mine out with a waterproof backed blanket wrapping the hutch but the wrong way round - ie the blanket bit inside and waterproof bit facing up if that makes sense.

But this year the two I now have are in seperate hutches due to baby coming along so I have put them in the shed to keep warm as they haven't each other to snuggle and I was worried for baby :(

I always gave loads of hay though and have always bought bunnies into a garage or the like if snowing.

:wave:i have always used old shower curtins and old bed sheets (washed first though) where can i get the snuggle heat pads from as the ones that i had found were not cheap

Mine are inside, but the conservatory still gets pretty cold. They have loads of hay in their hutch but refuse to sit in it and much prefer their cardboard box. So I covered it with a towel so they can still get in and out of the holes and filled it with shredded paper. Should be nice and cosy for them.

When it drops below zero I will lock them in their hutch overnight (usually they sit in their run all night :roll:) and provide one snugglesafe each at around midnight.

It was -1°C in the south at 8am this morning :? dread to think how much lower it will go in the north over the next few days (though hopefully we won't see temperatures like January's -7°C again anytime soon!)

For outdoor bunnies, Snugglesafes, insulation (out of edible reach) and waterproofing are a good combination :wave:

:wave: I must admit I have started locking the cat flap and keeping Ness in the shed as the nights are colder and she doesn't seem to mind actually, she is out all day and she's a bit like a child in that she quite likes me 'mothering' her and it's much more snug in there so I relax more, she does have lots of toys and twigs/willow balls etc and she comes out for a run around a couple of times before 'bed time' it's sooo chilly now down here in Hampshire deffo starting to feel Wintry.

It was -1°C in the south at 8am this morning :? dread to think how much lower it will go in the north over the next few days (though hopefully we won't see temperatures like January's -7°C again anytime soon!)

For outdoor bunnies, Snugglesafes, insulation (out of edible reach) and waterproofing are a good combination :wave:

Agree and a good run around to get the heart rate up and blood circulating:D

My sheds are well insulated, and they have bed areas that are full of hay, and this weekend I'm having heating put in the sheds for the nights it dips below zero

I now have a snugglesafe, OH brought one for Bramble on the way home from work......I'll be trying him with it later on tonight!

I put extra straw in Bramble's bedroom, but he would rather sit in his run, so I cover it all up with a tarp.

Severe weather warning

I'm cross-posting this from my cold snap thread because I think it's important.

Apparently the data coming out of the computers is showing serious parallels to the bitterly cold winter of 1981. If the pattern follows through we could be looking at:

Night-time temperatures down to -18 (!) in England. :shock:
Daytime temperatures of -10 (!) :shock:
Days on end when the temperature struggles to get above -5 :shock:

Not to mention freezing fog that doesn't clear for a week or more.

This isn't about one or two cold nights, but about a period that could stretch to a couple of weeks when the temperature never rises above freezing and night time temperatures are well below anything we have seen in recent years. The prediction is for the cold snap to last until at least Christmas.

Please - make sure you, and your bunnies, are prepared.

If it gets really bad I'm bringing Bramble indoors, he can live in the utility room!

Tried him with his snugglesafe last night. He obviously found it, as when I went to see him this morning, he'd moved it. We're out tonight, so I am going to put it in his run before we go out, and then maybe reheat it again when I get in......not that he's spoiled or anything! :lol:

If it gets really bad I'm bringing Bramble indoors, he can live in the utility room!

Tried him with his snugglesafe last night. He obviously found it, as when I went to see him this morning, he'd moved it. We're out tonight, so I am going to put it in his run before we go out, and then maybe reheat it again when I get in......not that he's spoiled or anything! :lol:

Only bring him in if he can stay in all winter hun :wave:

Mine just get lots of hay and a snugglesafe at night :) I have a thermal hutch cover which keeps out the wind and rain

Back