• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you risk spaying an 8 year old?/ We've lost her/ pm results post 75

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
My vet is happy to spay up until 7 years if they are in reasonable health, but that is their cut off point.

We are collecting an 8 and a half year old unspayed female tomorrow :?

I have my own thoughts on this but was just wondering what others would do :)

Last edited:
i know nothing so i won't attempt advice or even an opinion.

tabby is 2 1/2 and still shell-shocked from her spay on wednesday.

i dont know either but can I ask why

is it to stop her from getting prenant

or

for medical reasons

if for medical reasons definately

if so she wont get pregnant i would have to think very carefully about it

(think thats clear)

venice

i think if she's in good health and it'll give her the chance to have husbun and a happier life then all good. another year won't make a difference. but it's up to you liz.

I'd like to sit on the fence :lol: but will stick my neck out and say that I don't think I would risk it, unless there were huge obvious benefits from doing so.

I know there is a risk of uterine cancer but, by that age, there are a whole other range of age-related conditions she could develop which could also be potentially life threatening. It seems a pretty big risk to take to rule out just one possibility iyswim.

I hope I've explained myself clearly. :oops:

I personally wouldn't risk it. There's no reason why she can't be bonded with a neutered buck as she is.

Could you get your vets to try to do a conscious x-ray of her womb to check for any abnormal changes?

I probably wouldn't risk it. As she is coming to you, i am assuming she has some other medical problems, which may well cause significant complications. If she has made it to 8 years old without cancer - can you get an ultrasound? - she's no more likely to get it now. If she isnt already bonded, and its aggressive etc or showing other hormone-related behaviours, she might be fine with a neutered, chilled out buck.

I think if I were to risk it then I would run the battery of tests first to ensure it was the right decision.

My opinion is not to get her spayed.

In my opinion if she is suffering from cancer that chances are it would have spread by this age anyway, also the heart and other major organs may well be compromised due to old age.

I feel that it would be better to give her a happy 6months, a year, however long she has got rather than to risk loosing her straight away now she has been rescued :)

Hopefully she will be bonded to one of our elderly males, we have other old unspayed females that have bonded quite happily :)

I also want to add that i have had rabbits put through all the preop tests in the past before routine ops and still lost them as there are so many abnormalities that cannot be detected until PM :( And although it isn't about the money we have to be practical, we can't pay out £150 in tests just to find we can't have it done, when that money could be going towards a sick rabbit.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't spay a bunny that old. She should bond ok with a netuered placid male without the op. And I think it's too old to spay for health reasons.

I wouldn't have it done. So long as she's not annoyingly horny there is no reason she can't be bonded with a buck.:)

It's not worth it, as, yes...she might get cancer, but she's not got it for 8 years, so the chance is slim (I hope). She's far more likely to have complications during the spay than cancer.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be for the best! :D

I wouldn't have it done. So long as she's not annoyingly horny there is no reason she can't be bonded with a buck.:)

It's not worth it, as, yes...she might get cancer, but she's not got it for 8 years, so the chance is slim (I hope). She's far more likely to have complications during the spay than cancer.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be for the best! :D

I think the chance of uterine cancer at 8 years is around 80% :( So the chances are she actually will have it, but my view is that by that age spaying is not likely to cure it if she does have it because it will more than likely to have spread to her lungs, liver, stomach or kidneys :?

Emmy lou was spayed at 7 years, she had a tumour which was removed but it had already spread and we lost her a couple of months later :(

I doesn't seem worth putting her through it, as like you have said, if she was going to develop cancer, she will have had it by now, and it probably would have spread.
Going with you on this one Liz :wave:

I think the chance of uterine cancer at 8 years is around 80% :( So the chances are she actually will have it, but my view is that by that age spaying is not likely to cure it if she does have it because it will more than likely to have spread to her lungs, liver, stomach or kidneys :?

Emmy lou was spayed at 7 years, she had a tumour which was removed but it had already spread and we lost her a couple of months later :(

darn!! :(:(

If she did have it then it seems like there's nothing you could do! Best to keep her happy (and alive) than risk surgery that might not help! :(

I agree and wouldn't risk it, let her enjoy the rest of her time without the distress, your instinct will be the right decision...:D

Back