• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel pellets associated with bloat, stasis, etc?

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Have just been told this, is it true? Anyone had similar experiences or heard this?

Also just been told zantac is pointless for rabs as it's an antacid, and rabs don't have acid as they are herbivores?

so confuzzled! :?

I fed Lola and Lucy on it and they did OK, it was when I put them on A&P Lola had problems.

It's what I use and none of my current 18 or past buns have had any problems with it at all. In fact, to date, the only gut problem we have had was Tilly after her dental last week and she had gas due to pain. We have no problems.

Rimmi and Winter have no issues on Excel, Rimmi has never ever had a mucky bottom while I have had him... which is surprising after some of the things he has managed to nom!!!

Excel has been know to cause mucky bum but thats all I know of.

As for Zantac it is an antacid, however a side affect is to cause the gut to empty, which is why it work for buns. Poppy had i when she had stasis, helped her for sure.

What is bloat and stasis?? If u dont mind me asking lol?

Its tummy problems bunnies struggle with - I dont know the science bits but maybe do a search or PM a bunny helper?

Bloat and stasis can be deadly to buns so its best to be prepared and know what to look for.

Been feeding Excel for 10 years with no problems, runny bums, bloat, etc, but they only get a tiny amount in the evening along with hay, green food and readigrass, and just hay and greens in the morning. Think that problems can start if you overfeed pellets.

Its tummy problems bunnies struggle with - I dont know the science bits but maybe do a search or PM a bunny helper?

Bloat and stasis can be deadly to buns so its best to be prepared and know what to look for.

Aww thanks was just worried because my bunnies are on excel ehe but they havnt had no problems :) Well fingers crossed :)

i think blaming pellets is clutching at straws tbh, even a vet cant explain why our bunnies get stasis so who ever told you probably came to that conclusion themselves. theres so many triggers for Alvin ive given up trying to figure it out :oops:

as far as i know zantac is good because it works on the lower part of the guts and prompts them to get moving again, no idea on the science of it all it has the same effects as Propulsid

this makes an interesting read if you havent seen it already
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

My buns have it with no problems. :)

I think it's just like humans, some foods are fine for one but not for another.

Excell is fine for us, & my bun had a lot of tummy trouble in the past.

Runny poops (caecotrophs) is usually too much starch/sugar (fruit sugars) in root veg or fruit + insufficient fiber = hay/bark/safe tree leaves.

Zantac (Ranitidine) Stimulates a sluggish lower gut. Bunnies have a very high acidity in the stomach (much higher than humans). They are prone to gastric ulceration in stasis/bloat. So it kills 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

good basic food

Our vet originally recommended Excel because our first bun ate selectively from bunny mix and ended up with loose stools. Since then we've always used Excel, but obviously supplemented substantially with fresh foods, and grass and hay. We are very happy with Excel, and there is no waste.

Our latest rescue seems to find it bland, so we are mixing it 50/50 with bunnymix for him, but will adjust the mix over time until he's on it 100% as his dryfood, but with lots of fresh on top.

Sudden changes in diet can upset a bun, and if they don't eat their guts are dangerously destabilised.

Good luck

I use excel - my lot are fine, but I have heard of people having mucky bums (well their buns:roll:)

:roll::lol::lol::lol:

Okay, well I think the consensus is that some buns are fine, but there is maybe a link between tummy probs and excel for some bunnies.

Will try Beau on Science Selective and see if it makes his tummy less sensitive :)

Back