• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sterilising syringes?

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Hi guys, just a quick question, what is the safest, easiest and quickest way of sterilising syringes?

I've been given individually wrapped disposable needles, but reusable syringes :wave:

If you definitely need a sterilized syringe, it's easier to get a new one.

Never give an injection with a used syringe

For syringe feeding adult rabbits you can just give it a rinse out each time. Hand reared babies will need sterilized feeding syringes tho'

Just wanted to add that the normal plastic syringes aren't designed to be heat sterilized, so the measurement guide on the side will melt and come off

:shock: I don't know what the vet is up to then! He gave me 50 disposable needles, but only gave me 5 syringes and told me to reuse them :?

Personally I wouldn't reuse syringes for injections. They are pretty cheap if you bulk buy them from one of the online companies, make sure you get 3-part ones not 2-part ones though, as the 2 part don't have the rubber seal (I only learnt this last week!).

ooh okay! are these okay to use? click

I can't believe how much I am getting charged too at the vets for syringes :shock: I can buy 50 off Vet UK for what they charge me for 4 :lol:

Those ones have a different tip on them, your needle won't fit onto them. I think vetuk have stopped selling the 3-part 1 and 2ml syringes, I recall a thread about it recently and with hindsight I'm sure that person is right :? They must still be out there somewhere though...

You can use the 2 part for sub-q injections, but they aren't ideal because you can't accurately measure out the medication. For IV injections you definitely need the 3 part in case of air bubbles. And not sure about IM I'm afraid

Hi guys, just a quick question, what is the safest, easiest and quickest way of sterilising syringes?

I've been given individually wrapped disposable needles, but reusable syringes :wave:

If you need some syringes I have got plenty, I buy them 1000 at a time only £5 a box

Your vet may have meant you to draw up the total dose you need overall, and change the needle for each animals. We do this with the sheep on worming day- draw up with one needle, change it for the sheep, use the same drawing up needle, new needle for a sheep- etc, etc. This is common in large animal practices. I wouldn't reuse the needle the next time, though or anything. If you are using a sterile syringe, and a sterile needle for each fill, there should be no probelm- we have never had any.

Before disposable syringes and needles were so common and cheap, glass syringes and reusable metal needles were common. The syringes could be either autocalved or heated in an oven at 80 degrees C for 48 hrs, the needles were heated in the oven.

Last edited:
Back