• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fat Bunny

Amy104

Warren Veteran
How do you tell if a bun is mildly overweight? Ie not at the stage where mobility or hygine becomes an issue.

Bailey is very active, only gets a tbsp of pellets along with unlimited hay and some veg (mainly greens limited root veg).

However his wifebun Bracken has been losing weight (vet checked - No teeth or health issues).

I have a feeling the naughty boy is eating quicker and gobbling her share of the food and am now paranoid he has a bit of a pot belly.

I am going to try feeding seperately to see if things improve. Will this be sufficient, I have always been praised by my vets for the good condition of my buns and I am a bit upset.

Feeding pellets separately may be a good idea. Specially as buns love pellets so much and will gobble as many as they can.. You could try scattering the pellets or hiding them within the hay just to see if it gives Bracken a better chance to eat her share? :)
Helen xx

Thanks Helen. He had his myxi yesterday so I asked my vet about it. He is heavier than when I last weighed him but not unhealthy by any means, so that put my mind at rest. Just gotta work on Bracken, My vet agreed seperation at feeding time might be an idea in the shorterm to see if it helps.

mine eat out of a double bowl but i stand and watch them and make sure they've both eaten their fair share, their very good and eat out their own sides. hope you get it sorted.

Thanks. I've never had this before with bonded pairs, in the past the slow bun has cottoned on that they need to eat faster if they want some food! Guess poor little Bracken hasn't clued that yet! :lol:

Back