• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

End factory farming of rabbits

Info from the site...

Early Day Motion on Rabbit Welfare

Early Day Motions enable Members of Parliament (MPs) to express their opinion on a subject and bring attention to it. If enough signatures are gathered it can put pressure on Government Ministers to take action. It is also a wonderful opportunity to generate public and media interest.

Adrian Sanders MP has put forward an Early Day Motion (EDM) 1515, before the House which seeks to improve the welfare of farmed rabbits in the UK.

You can make your voice heard – just follow these 3 easy steps!

1 If you don’t know the name of your local MP click on http://www.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/index.cfm and enter your postcode to find their name, this will take you to a handy link for you to email them from.

2 Click on http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=38685&SESSION=899

which will show you the wording of the EDM, with a list of MP’s who have already signed it (on the right-hand-side). If your local MP has already signed it then you need not take further action.

3 Write a short email mentioning EDM 1515 on Rabbit Welfare, requesting that they show support for the Motion by signing it. A brief, polite request written in your own words gives it the personal touch.

Please keep us informed of any responses by emailing Marie-Claire Macintosh, Head of Programmes on marie-claire.macintosh@four-paws.org.uk

Rabswood

Well after the other day I will be doing this tomorrow. Found my way back to RU from google this came up!

Thank you for raising awareness of this. My local MP is on the right hand side, does that mean that I dont need to write to him?

I am really pleased this is being discussed in Parliament.

I've e-mailed my MP about it, but don't hold up much hope given the short time left for this parliament and the impending change of leadership.

:?:?:?

I have emailed my MP - to be fair they have replied straight away - but I cannot really understand the reply. The MP feels the best way forward is to contact the relevant Minister at DEFRA to ask whether they are considering introducing the EDM into law. I will be contacted again when an answer is received.

Will keep you informed :?

:wave: Bumpety Bump in case anyone else would like to - you can wish your MP Merry Christmas too :D

The reply I received:
Thank you for your request to sign EDM 1515 regarding the welfare of farmed rabbits. As Assistant Minister for the South West I do not sign EDMs.

I am however always pleased to receive views and observations from constituents and whilst I cannot sign the EDM I am interested in the issue it covers, and have written to the relevant Minister for their observations. I will make sure you see a copy of the reply.

I have also added your details to my database of people interested in animal welfare and will keep you informed in future of my work in this area – you can also monitor what I am doing through my website.

Thank you again for the email and for alerting me to the EDM.

Yours sincerely

Aww the poor things! :cry: Such horrible people do this! :? I couldn't even look at half the pictures without getting upset. I wish i could run in there and scoop up all the poor bunnies, make them all better and give them loving homes where they can actually move and have fun and have a life! :(

:wave: I had a reply to my email today, looks impressive but, it quite bland and not telling me anything that I didn't know already. It would seem that the EDM 1515 was lost :( I will be making an appointment with this MP in one of his surgeries and also 'my' MP for Fareham.

Letter1.jpg

Letter2.jpg

Basically he's saying he thinks the current legislation is adequate. I think if you do go to see him you should explain that the current legislation doesn't mandate a minimum size for their cages and this means that people use cages that are too small and the RSPCA and others are reluctant to prosecute because the law isn't clear. You might want to take along a cage that meets the DEFRA minimum cage size to show him just how small it is, with an average sized toy rabbit inside.

Back