• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beau STILL isn't eating :( UD not eating much again

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
We got Beau and Honey back from bonding on Monday and Beau STILL isn't eating or pooping properly.

We took him to the vet on Tuesday and they said they reason he wasn't pooing was cos his tummy was empty, so gave us zantac, fibreplex and recovery to give him, which we have been doing ever since. During this time he has eaten quite a few leaves of Basil, but nothing else, and the poo situation hasn't improved either.

We thought it was the stress of bonding that had stopped him eating, but they are affectionate towards each other, grooming and snuggling, no chasing or nipping to speak of (touchwood!), and he's been home a few days now and still no eating. Vet checked his teeth and says it's not that, plus he had a GA dental about a fortnight ago. What else could it be?

:cry:

Last edited:
It is probably all linked to stress. Have you been syringe feeding him?

Try parsley, it smells quite strongly so bunnies tend to like it. Or some porridge made with warm water and some mashed banana.

yep, tempt him with ANYTHING to get him back into the habit of eating. I might get shot down for this, but I always get out Russell Rabbit Mix, cheerios, crunchy nut, wheetabix and it usually tempts both of mine into eating again!

yep, tempt him with ANYTHING to get him back into the habit of eating. I might get shot down for this, but I always get out Russell Rabbit Mix, cheerios, crunchy nut, wheetabix and it usually tempts both of mine into eating again!

I agree, I would give them anything they want just to get food in their tummys if they havent eaten for a while. Strawberry loves Shreddies! In fact I am sure he turns his nose up at pellets sometimes on purpose just so that I get the Shreddies out!

I agree, I would give them anything they want just to get food in their tummys if they havent eaten for a while. Strawberry loves Shreddies! In fact I am sure he turns his nose up at pellets sometimes on purpose just so that I get the Shreddies out!

I swear mine are doing this now just to get their crunchy nut :roll:

How is Beau now Libby?

I too am one who would feed anything I knew his stomach could tolerate. If he is willing to eat basil, can he tolerate more than he is currently eating? Also, what about oats? Grass? Dandelion leaves? Just keep filling the tummy.

How is he acting in himself?

I swear mine are doing this now just to get their crunchy nut :roll:

How is Beau now Libby?

your lucky... Alvin does it for the metacam at £10 a bottle which goes off in 6 months :shock: then ill have to buy more for just one dose to be used...:(

hows Beau???

Oh no I can't believe it, how frustrating :( No advice really I'm afraid other than make sure he is well hydrated and keep getting that food in him, and keep taking him back to the vets for meds and checks until he is eating again properly. Hope all is ok xx

Sorry guys, not been on, he still wasn't eating tonight so took him straight to the vets. They had a feel and said they could feel a small lump, and that next step would be to GA and x-ray for possible tumour :(:shock: So I was obviously starting to panic, they said to carry on with zantac, recovery and fibreplex over night, but to also have subcut fluids and baytril, and if no better tomorrow, take him in and discuss options.

So I rang Caroline at the Rabbit Residence, we've been inconstant contact since the bonding, and she was soooo good, sent me a step by step list of what she would do if it was her bun, and numbers to ring. I rang Gillian at Heathlands Animal Centre, and she said to take him round, she got 20mls recovery into him :shock: , and 8mls water, and injected metaclop (I had to sign him over as a formality, but I totally trust her) and as soon as he went back in the carrier he was chomping away on some greens, just got back and he's tucking into more greens now :D

It's such a relief after 4 days of this (seems more like a month!) I am SO grateful to Caroline for her advice and emotional support, and to Gillian for working her magic :D:D:D:D:D

how awful for you! i'm so glad he's starting to eat. give the little monkey anything he'll have.

are you going back to the vets tomorrow to find out more about the 'lump'? could it be a bit of bunged up poop?

how awful for you! i'm so glad he's starting to eat. give the little monkey anything he'll have.

are you going back to the vets tomorrow to find out more about the 'lump'? could it be a bit of bunged up poop?

I do not trust my vet at all!

Gillian basically pooh-poohed everything my vet said, and as Caroline trusts Gillian, so do I. Gillian can feel the lump, but says it's very soft and there's definitely no obstruction, doesn't even feel like a ball of hair, just some jelly-like poop. She's not concerned about it at all, and is far more focussed on getting him eating :)

But they gave me zantac, which apparently is a waste of time with rabbits, Gillian said metaclop, suddenly he's eating. The vets told me 2-3mls of recovery every 2-3 hours (and that is definitely what they said as they wrote it down) whereas Gillian got 20mls down him, and suddenly he's eating. Three vets have felt his tummy this week, first two could feel nothing, third felt something but wouldn't say what it was without GA x-ray. It's appalling that trained vets couldn't get my boy eating, but a woman with 45 years experience of rabbits could :roll:

I do not trust my vet at all!

Gillian basically pooh-poohed everything my vet said, and as Caroline trusts Gillian, so do I. Gillian can feel the lump, but says it's very soft and there's definitely no obstruction, doesn't even feel like a ball of hair, just some jelly-like poop. She's not concerned about it at all, and is far more focussed on getting him eating :)

But they gave me zantac, which apparently is a waste of time with rabbits, Gillian said metaclop, suddenly he's eating. The vets told me 2-3mls of recovery every 2-3 hours (and that is definitely what they said as they wrote it down) whereas Gillian got 20mls down him, and suddenly he's eating. Three vets have felt his tummy this week, first two could feel nothing, third felt something but wouldn't say what it was without GA x-ray. It's appalling that trained vets couldn't get my boy eating, but a woman with 45 years experience of rabbits could :roll:

:shock: you need a new vet! really glad beau's eating now - don't want him worrying his new wifey as well as his mummy!

i swear its the fluids injection that gets them going again.. aint no drug like water for a dehydrated bunny :D:D:D:D

so pleased hes ok again :love::love:

Back