• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold snap - snow/frost update (post 25)

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
We're about to see the first cold snap of the winter, starting this weekend. Sustained cold daytime temperatures, overnight frost, freezing fog in some places, clear frosty skies elsewhere. Wind easterly (ie, off Siberia) with snowfalls down to sea level possible down the eastern side of the country.

Be prepared! Dib, dib!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll make sure I've got plenty of deep snuggly straw. Not that they'll probably use it as they've perfected the "nobody loves us and we're made to sit outside in the freezing weather" routine :lol::lol:

It's not going away soon, either

The latest prediction from a surprisingly accurate amateur/hobbyist weather buff is:

"As it stands, the cold weather beginning at the weekend and beyond is pretty much nailed on, and the chance of snow at the middle of next week is still there with the eastern side of the UK seeing the highest chance of it.
In fact, it looks like a long lasting cold spell as well, lasting all the way to Christmas Day. Thus the chance of a white Christmas is very high."

Further information - not good

Apparently the data coming out of the computers is showing serious parallels to the bitterly cold winter of 1981. If the pattern follows through we could be looking at:

Night-time temperatures down to -18 (!) in England. :shock:
Daytime temperatures of -10 (!) :shock:
Days on end when the temperature struggles to get above -5 :shock:

Not to mention freezing fog that doesn't clear for a week or more.

This isn't about one or two cold nights, but about a period that could stretch to a couple of weeks when the temperature never rises above freezing and night time temperatures are well below anything we have seen in recent years.

Please - make sure you, and your bunnies, are prepared.

Oh great! It has to be the year I get a job where I have to drive in a rural area! I've been working from home or a short walk for the past 10 years!!

I don't much like the sound of -10 in the daytime :shock::shock:

*goes to make sure pond heater works*

Hmm, can't find any forecasts that say this for this weekend...
I hope it doesn't happen. I hate the cold!

Apparently the data coming out of the computers is showing serious parallels to the bitterly cold winter of 1981. If the pattern follows through we could be looking at:

Night-time temperatures down to -18 (!) in England. :shock:
Daytime temperatures of -10 (!) :shock:
Days on end when the temperature struggles to get above -5 :shock:

Not to mention freezing fog that doesn't clear for a week or more.

This isn't about one or two cold nights, but about a period that could stretch to a couple of weeks when the temperature never rises above freezing and night time temperatures are well below anything we have seen in recent years.

Please - make sure you, and your bunnies, are prepared.

Where have these figures come from?

if it is that cold i think i might have to move back in with my mum! my house temperature rarely goes about 18 at the moment and that is at about midnight when the boiler has been going for 6 hours. Daytime temp inside is about 12-14, so if it gets that cold i will have to stay in bed all day!

remember last winter when we had all that snow in feb? well we smelt gas, called out national grid who cut off the gas. We were left all weekend with an indoor temp of 6! it actually felt warmer outside! if it gets really cold again i donlt think i will cope! cry!

also, i had better get that dog crate ordered to bring the buns inside!

:shock: OMG! maybe i need to order one of those snuggle safe things for steve........
he has a lovley thick winter coat though but no friend to snuggle with:(.

and we dont have central heating! hopefully the weather man is wrong

Woohoo - I prefer the sound of that :D

Mind you, I suppose that means there's a 50% change of it being colder than average :roll:

30% near average
20% colder

I would be interested to see where OP's figures came from, and weighing the likelihood of these things happening. MET offfice have been wrong before!

Last edited:
Back