• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT - nethie dwarf boarder stop eating

Alpha

Warren Scout
I know we have loads of threads on this problem but i have no experience of the little nethie dwarfs. I have one in my boarding at the moment came in on saturday has slowley gone off his food. He seems bright enough but all he seems to want to to is snuggle.....he was ok when he came in and as he was a snuggler i put a little soft teddy bear in with him to snuggle up too. He just snuggles up to it and doesnt seem to want to leave it. Since i put this bear in (which i have checked and he hasnt chewed it) he hasnt seemed to want to eat.. . Im not sure if he if is pining for his home, stressed or what to do really. I have since removed the bear and given him a hot snuggle pack (for animals) I have syrined him a little weetabex and some soften pellets. . Anyone any ideas before i rush him off to the vets later on today........???? Im at a loss. He is a sweet little baby and just wants snuggles i dont know if coming here with all the smells of the other animals has made him a little insecure or lonely. ??

it might be the stress that has set his tum off. he will need to be seen by a vet sooner rather than later and will need pain relief, a gut stimulant etc.

try and keep him eating, alot of hay to push everything through his system, and keep him hydrated and warm aswell.

if he has stopped eating completely i would say he really needs a vet now to be honest. or ring them for advice.

what are his poops like? is he doing any?

poor little bun. :(

no poop for 8 hours is considered an emergency so asap. is your normal vet a rabbit vet? because if not, there shouldn't be any difference between that one and the emergency one so may be best to go now.

nethies are the worst for not eating when stressed. it took me weeks to get rosie and panda to do anything but nibble but you did the right thing taking him to the vets, especially if you have not seen any poops.

When you get him back try to tempt with:

parsley/corriander
grated apple
grated carrot and carrot tops
lettuce (the soft, darker floppy stuff not iceberg)
spring greens
small handfuls of grass

they've usually been the most sucessful with me, other than the any syring feed you have been given of course.

awww poor wee thing :( I remember when I adopted my nethie Tia she was right off her food just from the stress of new home and new people - I had to hold her water bottle right in front of her nose, and put her food dish in her litter tray rather than next to it, because she stayed in the litter tray for days.

Hope this little guy recovers :(

Back