• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried to death: Mites or dry skin?

echitt

New Kit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got two rabbits. Both are fixed. My male is a mini lop, and the female is a netherland dwarf. Both live in seperate cages but play together all the time, and are in very close contact with each other. My fiance and I got our male from a pet store. We got our female from our neighbor who had let her go into the wild. When we got her, she had fleas, ticks, hookworms, tapeworms, and ticks. She was treated for all those, and is doing awesome now.

My male, however, has developed dry, white, obviously itchy skin. He does lose fur but not in HUGE clumps. The majority of this "dry skin" is located near his tail and mid-back. Nowhere near his ears, neck, or head. It does NOT move, but when he gets mats, and we get them off of him, the skin attached is oily and flaky at the sametime. Our female doesn't have any dry skin, no fur loss, or anything our male is experiencing.

Going to an exotic vet is expensive, and we're scratched for money. We usually take them to Pender Eastern Exotics. But I'm not convinced its mites.

Do rabbits just get dry skin? Only my male has it. And it does NOT move. =/

maybe an allergy? stess? has he been under any stress?

things like woodshavings/sawdust can cause allergy type symptoms/dry skin etc so if you use those i would stop. they are bad for them anyway.

as both your rabbits get on well at play time... have you thought about maybe bonding them so they can be together all the time? maybe he is getting stressed if they want to be together and then keep getting taken apart???

other than that i think the best thing would be to see an exotics vet otherwise you will never know and this may be the start of something else which in turn could lead to something else... and then you will probably end up at the exotics vets anyway with an even bigger problem than now which will cost more.

if he seems happy and his usual self then try removing any bedding that is dusty etc.

i think there are more skin conditions it could be... although i don't know much about them really. i am sure someone else will be along soon with more ideas.

:wave:

Back