• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats your feeding routine?

silly answer:
ryvita and tomatoes for breakfast, soup for lunch and whatever comes to hand in the evening - last night, vile chips from the chipoil across the road.

proper answer:
small amount of pellets, lots of veg, morning and evening. hay all day, i always put out more hay than they can eat. treats (crunchies, only recently introduced) no more than three a day. treats (green beans) maybe five or six a day.

Bowl of fresh veg and chunk of fresh hay in the morning
Bowl of fresh veg, tiny scattering of SS pellets and chunk of fresh hay in the evening.

Hay is available 24/7 but their majesties much prefer the 'new' and exciting stuff :roll::roll::roll:

I have a house bunny, aproximately 9 monhts old, 5 lbs.

This is our feeding routine:
I give her 1/4 cup of pellets in the morning and about an 1/8 at night...I feel guilty if I put her to bed with an empty crunchy bowl. In the morning and night I clean her box and in the corner of it layer some bermuda grass (only a little because she doesn't love it) a generous pile of Timothy Hay with a little Alfalfa Hay on top. I've been told that I need to ween her off of the Alfalfa soon, but she really enjoys that too. At dinner time I give her a heaping dinner plate of fresh greens (aprox 2 - 3 cups); a combination of at least 3 of dandalion greens, cilantro, parsley, basil, mint, spinach, or spring mix. The ocassional baby carrot or bit of brocolli as a treat.

I'm kind of new to being a bunny mom though. I'm really interested in finding out if I'm feeding my bun the right/wrong foods/amounts. I'm trying to get it right based on what I've read, but it's difficult. She loves the pellet mixture so much (which I now know are the wrong kind) and I feel like I'm depriving her by having to cut her way back. I assume she feels deprived by the way she attacks her pellets with gusto when I provide them.

I'm a little concerned because sometimes I pick her up and she feels like a little pigglet and then the next thing I know she's as light as a feather. There is a noticeable difference sometimes in the same day. This is with consisent feeding amounts.:?

How to balance being a good bunny mom from two perspectives. Feeding them an appropriate diet versus one they really enjoy?

We threw out the yogurt drops among other bunny "treats" that she also loved, because the vet said it was the equivalent of feeding your kids McDonalds every day. :oops:

Mine have a variety of veg in the morning about 8am and a small handful of pellets in the everning at 9pm. Hay wise, they have two or three different hays in various piles which is topped up twice a day

Three different sorts of veg and herbs in the morning.

After I get home from work they have litter tray changes so more hay, treat hay, pellets, dried herbs (usually fresh dandelion and grass in summer) and usually a fenegreek crunchie later on.

small amount of pellets in the morning.... then i change the trays and fill with fresh hay... later on they get dried herbs sprinkled on the hay - coneflower, jerusalem artichoke and coltsfoot... more hay throughout the day... then small plate of veg at around 5pm... then more hay and maybe some more herbs... then small amount of pellets before bed... and more hay for night time! :wave:

I hay them at 5.30-6am. & do water. Then they get veg - carrots mostly last couple of days cos got a huge bag, but also spinach/brocolli/cabbage/romaine lettuce & a couple like cherry tomatoes. Sometimes they might get the odd bit of apple, or toast, or banana.

At 6-7.30pm they get more hay & water. If I'm making veg for tea, they might get a bit - but only a small amount

11pm-1am, pellets - I feed excel. Hay & water checked.

Egg cup full of pellets and fresh water at about 6.30am and a bundle of hay for everyone

Fenugreek crunchie or handful of oat, wheat and barley hay when I get home (about 6ish - those little faces, got to give them something :oops:)

Vegetables, fresh water and another bundle of hay at about 8ish

Fenugreek crunchie or handful of oat, wheat and barley hay just before I go to bed

Pile of veg (usually a variety) and topped up hay in the morning. Handful of pellets and topped up hay in the evening.
Then treats and stuff throughout the day sometimes. A little bit of fruit or porridge or commercial treat.

Morning 7.30am :pellets (1 eggcup full ), leaf of spring greens, half baby corn, 1 sugar snap pea, sprig of dill, mint, basil and coriander.

Evening 7.30pm : leaf of spring greens, half baby corn, 1 sugar snap pea, sprig of dill, mint, basil and coriander.

Hay and fresh water at all times.

A handful of pellets in the morning and a bowl of veg at night.

Hay and water available at all times (hay gets topped up with fresh stuff in the morning)

Fresh hay in the litter tray, small amount of pellets at 5.30am, change water

Bowl of Veg (spring greens, cabbage, kale, whatever) at 6.30am

Bowl of Veg as above at 7pm

Treats of basil, coriander, parsley, dandelion whenever

Fresh hay in the litter tray, small amount of pellets at 5.30am, change water

Bowl of Veg (spring greens, cabbage, kale, whatever) at 6.30am

Bowl of Veg as above at 7pm

Treats of basil, coriander, parsley, dandelion whenever

Very similar to ours - but not quite so early :shock: :lol:

Back