• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cardboard?

River

Warren Scout
We have a cardboard castle for Oz to play in, and he always rips pieces off it and I've caught him chewing on them, and sometimes eating them. How bad is this?

I would say it depends on the cardboard and whether it's coated with anything, as with most things though even if it's plain untreated cardboard you wouldn't want them eating too much, I would imagine it could be dangerous in large amounts and even in small amounts wouldn't actually be good for the rabbit although not harmful as such. I would certainly only allow this to happen under supervision - I am assuming the bun isn't hungry it's more a playing thing?

Yeah, he's just playing. They're jsut random boxes, and they have very little ink or anything on them. I think he just plays and then ends up eating a but of it.

I would keep a fairly close eye on this. Although there may not be anything harmful in the cardboard, it could cause a blockage in the digestive system if too much is ingested.

Just keep an eye on how much he is actually eating and how much is just being ripped off... if he's anything like my bun, I'm sure you'll find little mountains of ripped up cardboard around the place :roll::lol:

As usual, just ensure that he eats plenty of hay. This is high in fibre, so will help 'push' food (and anything else) through his system :)

I would keep a fairly close eye on this. Although there may not be anything harmful in the cardboard, it could cause a blockage in the digestive system if too much is ingested.

Just keep an eye on how much he is actually eating and how much is just being ripped off... if he's anything like my bun, I'm sure you'll find little mountains of ripped up cardboard around the place :roll::lol:

As usual, just ensure that he eats plenty of hay. This is high in fibre, so will help 'push' food (and anything else) through his system :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. He's always got a large heap of hay he can munch on, and when i notice him riping on the cardboard i check on him, so I think it should be okay.

I asked my vet about this as my outdoor bun lives on cardboard and continually shreds and eats it. Apparently it's fine, so long as the cardboard has no ink or sellotape on it. He said if there were any problems with eating or pellets then to bring her in and mention the cardboard, but that it shouldn't cause any problems. So far so good and she's been chewing it for a long time now!

Back