• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit slings?

mumble

New Kit
I am getting a rabbit soon, after doing quite a bit of research. I have been looking at how to correctly pick one up and see a lot of people sort of hold them close to their chests like babies, either on their back cradled or on their front against their chest/lap.
I was just wondering if there are slings or something similar, like you get for babies, to help secure them there if you're just sitting with them? Or would that bother them? Just curious.

Not that I know of, you shouldn't really need one and I can't imagine they would like it. They're prey animals in nature so being restrained tells them that they're about to be eaten :(

As an aside - I would never cradle a rabbit upside down like you would a baby - it has recently been shown that this induces a 'trance' like state in rabbits which is actually highly stressful to them. Again because they are 'prey' animals, being held upside down tells their instinct that they're about to be eaten so it's very stressful :(

I scoop mine up with a hand under their chest and the other hand under their bum and just hold them against me and they're fine. Rabbits generally don't like being picked up though so ideally try and arrange their life so they don't need to be picked up any more than necessary :) They are much happier on the ground where they can hop over and jump on you and cuddle up with you on the floor (or sofa :lol:) when they want to :)

Ah thank you =)
I wasn't very sure on all this stuff, so wanted to be clear before I got one.

As I wear my dressing gown (over my clothes) around the house I use this as a sort of sling - the rabbit sitting up against my chest like I would normally hold them, with the dressing gown over the top, and the bun's head peeping out of the gap. I knot the cord securely underneath the bun to stop him falling out and always use at least one hand to support him too. I find it great for having a snuggle with Ginger Bun when I want my hands free (such as when I'm on RU!). He loves it too, and chutters gently while he snuggles against me. Pickles doesn't like it because he doesn't like being restrained at all, but I actually think it's safer to carry him in this way sometimes, such as going upstairs, as he can't jump out of my arms.

I really think it depends on the bun though, and what their limits are.

Back