• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Bun haa lost his fur

rabbit mad

Warren Scout
Hi All,

Went out today to "check" on the rabbits more like play with them when I noticed my second youngest looked thinner then last night.. after our general catch me if you can, he decided to come to me, when I picked him up he was so light (i could hold him in one had and not notice he was there where before he was a good weight)
I brought him inside to the decent light to have a good look at him only to discover from his shoulders blades down over he has absolutly no fur at all, it looks like he has had his fur shaved off him, or he is a new born. it is hot to touch as well. He is very thin now we have had a good look at him!
We quickly phoned our normal bunny vet but couldnt get in until friday so rang around all my local surgeries and have managed to get him into a vets tomorrow morning at 10am.
I am sorry worried about him
Anyone got any ideas???

Please dont shoot me down about this I spend hundreds on my rabbits and they are like children to me, I just dont understand how it could have happened, it literally seems to have happened over night.

Many thanks
Kelly :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Awwhh poor bun :( I'm sorry he's not feeling his best.

Is he still eating and behaving normally? I'm not a rabbit heallth expert so I can't really suggest anything other than making sure he's warm enough tonight and hopefully the vet will be able to help him tomorrow.

Good luck! :)

I'm not sure of the reason this has happened as I've never experienced it but I would advice to keep him warm as obviously he has no coat, put plenty of straw in his bed area...if he is on his own could he be brought in until the vet has seen him?

Hi has he had any recent injections? If not I would suggest that he needs worming and it could be mites or an allergy if it's not from another bun pulling it out?? Keep him hydrated and warm and lots of fresh greens and see the vet ASAP x

Is there any chance you could take some photos and post them? I wouldn't be able to tell you much by them but a lot of other people on the forum are very knowledgable about these things and a picture could really help us to help you. :)

Hello All,

many thanks for your suggestion. I have just got back in from the vets and he has headlice:oops::oops:
Vet really has no idea how he has caught them, he gave him an injection of antibitotics and told me to bath him (which we have just done) and to keep him warm.. I kept him inside last night and the vet has advised that to keep him in through the nights but let him back with his companion so that he does not stress throughout the day but if it is to cold to keep him in... It is freezing here today so he is staying with me, come tomorrow his companion is also getting a bath (which vet advised) and the full cage is getting disinfected...

Poor thing cant believe how bad his fur fell out over night.
I will ask hubby when he gets in how I post a picture up to show you his belly.

Kell

Back