• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi, newbie here, wanting to know about 'sheds'

gogogirl

New Kit
i have noticed from reading a few posts on here that you keep your rabbits in 'sheds' not hutches.
am i right in thinking these are actual sheds like you keep your mower in?
how do they work, are there floors and ramps in them? doors and windows? please can some of you show me some pictures of your set-ups as i am very interested in setting up something of my own, how do you get on with cleaning out a whole shed each day!
looking forward to hearing/seeing some of your designs, and my bunnies are looking forward to having a new much bigger accommodation!
thanks!

Hiya :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

I have an 8x6 shed for my 2 bunnies with an attached aviary type run, they have a dog flap to get from the shed to the run. The shed is easier to keep clean than the hutches, i have lino on the floor, and the buns have 2 large underbed storage boxes full of hay for litter trays. I empty the trays daily and sweep the floor a couple of times a day :)

We have a normal door on our shed, and then a 3ft mesh panel behind that to stop the bunnies getting out when you open the door! Some people have the stable type doors, so they can open the top and see where bunnies are before they go in ;)

We have normal perspex windows in our shed, but have removed one and meshed it so air can get into the shed :) Will try and find some pics, but we dont have shelves etc. xXx

These pics arent great... this was taken in the dark :lol: :oops: Their run...
100_1221.jpg

ou can see the lino/hay baskets etc in this pic...
100_1240.jpg

This was before they moved in :lol: The shelf was meant to be for storage but they can get on it :roll:
100_1156.jpg

Last edited:
I have three sheds. All mine have cat flaps for access into their runs, inner mesh doors for the summer, and the main doors are stable doors.

Inside mine have three different levels with a cosy bed at the top, feeding in the middle and litter trays on the bottom.

Mine have the big underbed storage boxes as litter trays, and all my bunnies do all their wees in these and most of their poops.

Outside they have permanent enclosures, and this weekendI'm having lighting and heating installed.

I clean my sheds out every other day (for 8 bunnies),and it takes about 3/4hour as I just sweep the shelves and floor and swap the litter boxes over,change water and clean bowls etc. Once a week I change the bed areas too.

In comparison my foster buns are in hutch/run combos, and two hutches take as long as the 3 sheds!!

Here are some picture's of our shed. We have two bunnies, and chose to put their old hutch in the shed so they have somewhere they can retreat to if they want. They have been much happier since having the extra space. They love having the different levels to jump around on, and really enjoy the tunnel.

P1030163.jpg

P1030164.jpg

P1030165.jpg

Now it has got colder we have lined the top shelf of the hutch with hay so they have got something to snuggle in.

My bunnies live in sheds, with laminate flooring and shelves. We often have lots of big cardboard boxes full of hay etc for the bunnies to play in, they love a good box :D My bunnies use litter trays, we clean the litter trays out everyday and fully clean the shed around every 5 days, depending on how messy they get.

Bugs and Roo's shed

151_4342.jpg

0110.jpg

Hatties girls shed (We boarded around the bottom of Hatties shed too because they kept chewing through the shed panels :roll::lol:)

151_4397.jpg

151_4399.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the pics:

001.jpg

109.jpg

005.jpg

002.jpg

118.jpg

122.jpg

003.jpg

They get a full clean every week and the new litter tray (bigger than the one in the photo) gets cleanded every few days. Oh, and I stopped usng newspaper because they kept tearing it up and eating it :roll:

Last edited:
Cor, you've all given me some brilliant ideas on transforming out shed which unfortunately has to have other 'garden-y' type things stored in it :wave:

Thanks guys :thumb:

Mine live in a playhouse within an aviary run - the playhouse is HEAPS easier to clean than the hutch was! It takes no time at all now!

what fabulous pictures, i have got some great inspiration now. i think i will wait till the spring and then get into action. my two big girls had to be split up 8 weeks ago when one produced babies (i had only had them one week!) now the two big girls arent keen on going back in with eachother ineither hutch!! however when in the run (huge galvanised two runs butted together 440 long) everyone gets along just fine so i think they will get along all together in a huge shed also! thanks so much for all the pictures, i love them. i am keeping one baby, a girl so i will have three girls together once the other two babies go. i have a home for the one girl and am looking for a home for the boy. please see my post on homes wanted, thanks!

Hia, welcome to RU, I hope that you find this forum as useful as we have. Please use the search to look for 'Yay, the bungle palace is finished' to see our set up. I hope you like it.

We have 5 bunnies now in a 8 x 10 shed, the babies (3) live on the second tier which is an l shape and is 8 x 4 along the back and 6 x 4 along the side, they dont have winter coats so we bring them into the house to have a run round.

Emily and Muffin live downstairs and have the full 8 x 10, they also have an 8 x 10 run attached which they have 24 hour access to but they spend all day in the garden when one or both of us are at home.

The great thing about a shed is that you can go out and spend time with them no matter what the weather is doing and its so much easier to keep them clean.

We have also placed a tiny radiator on the babies floor which is enough to keep them warm without making it too warm for Em and Muff, we got that from Dunelm for £15.

the other thing we do is to use cheap bathroom mats for the babies to run around on so that they dont slip and skid everywhere when they are running around, they are ideal as I can swap them over and wash them when they need it.

I hope that when/if you do move you buns into a shed, you will post pics.

Angela

Back