• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilts

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Just out of interest, would you consider this more likely to be caused by an ear problem or EC?

And which would you expect the vet to try to treat first?

Hmmm ..when Thumper Had An Ear Infection Vet Could See It By Looking In His Ears ... But It Was A Bad Infection ..dont Know If You Would Be Able To See All Ear Infections :?

Cant You Treat For Both To Cover All Bases ?:?

can be both,would expect vet to treat with panacur, an anti inflammatory [EC] and an antibiotic[ear infection] at the same time.:D

I'd expect a vet to cover both basis to start off with as well, although I haven't experienced it so I don't know what my vet normally does :)

My personal opinion is that strokes in rabbits are pretty rare and it's more likely to be a misdiagnosis :oops:

I'd expect a vet to cover both basis to start off with as well, although I haven't experienced it so I don't know what my vet normally does :)

My personal opinion is that strokes in rabbits are pretty rare and it's more likely to be a misdiagnosis :oops:

its not as rare as you think ive had 4 rabbits over the years that have had strokes
they dont just have the head tilt there are other symptoms too such as been wobbly , loss of use in back legs been 2 of them
ann x

Last edited:
its not as rare as you think ive had 4 rabbits over the years that have had strokes
they dont just have the head tilt there are other symptoms too such as been wobbly , loss of use in back legs been 2 of them
ann x

They are symptoms of EC too................

Exactly Jane - and I'm afraid it just reinforces my view that stroke is more commonly misdiagnosed than exists in rabbits...I'm sure stroke is much better understood than ec by many generalist vets. I think a similar thing about floppy rabbit syndrome as well :oops:

Exactly Jane - and I'm afraid it just reinforces my view that stroke is more commonly misdiagnosed than exists in rabbits...I'm sure stroke is much better understood than ec by many generalist vets. I think a similar thing about floppy rabbit syndrome as well :oops:

I agree :)

That's really interesting - how were the strokes diagnosed?

vet diagnosed it as the rabbit had head tilt i thought ec i told the vet i was bringing in rabbit with ec for treatment as it was wobbly with head tilt,however vet also poined out loss of use on one side with weakness in one side he said i was wrong and was told it had a stroke after a few days it was back to normal except for still having a slight head tilt and been slower than normal
but it was ok
ann x

Last edited:
When Thumper had bad head tilt he was treated with 28days panacur and Baytril in sync. Came good so I am assuming it was an ear infection although there was nothing obvious apart from the tilt but I think it's wise to treat for both otherwise you're wasting time if you opt for the wrong one initially.

Back