• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

post-spay tabitha very, very low

happybun

Wise Old Thumper
her operation happened around noon, i collected her at 4 30, she's been sitting at the back of the cage (place of safety), face to the wall ever since. no interest in fenugreek crunchies, hay, spring greens or water, no attempt to eat her pellets.

i've got some metacam. vet nurse said tabby had all the pain relief she could have today but if she doesn't move in the next hour i might try giving her some. it says 40 drops once a day.

what do you think?

on the other hand, if i'd just had an op, i might be miserable too. she did hop out of the carrier when i popped it in the cage but even the lip at the bottomof the carrier was an obstacle for her.

girlies take longer to get going again after spaying.I'd keep her inside as temperature control can be a problem following a GA plus you can keep an eye on her better.Offer her a bowl for drinking as she may find it tricky to get to a bottle.I'd offer her things such as parsley etc to try and get her to eat although she might not eat until later tonight.i'd have expected her to have eaten by morning if not I'd take her back to the vet.
I'm assuming you know about not putting hay in her bed area and checking her :)

thank you tamsin. no hay, that's fine she's on vetbed. they both live indoors so that's not a problem. she has a selection of small veggies and a small bowl of water, which she did sniff at. i had a word a minute ago,and encouraged her to move slightly, so she's facing the goodies, not the wall. that might cheer her up.

I had Jacinta neutered a few weeks ago, and she took a long time to come around.
I've suffered through 9 neuters, and they all respond differently.

Jacinta had hers done at noon, I collected her at 3pm, and she didn't eat or drink until 8am the next morning, although by 1am I had seen a few poops. Compared to Mr Blue, he was done the previous week and was eating by 5pm!

I think the girlys have a tougher time than the boys.

Make sure she's warm, cover her crate with a blanket so she feels safe and quiet, and I usually put in a mini quilt and several folded towels for them to lie on, and put in a carrier for them to hide in.

I wouldn't give her any more pain relief yet,as the vet has said she's covered until tomorrow.

Try tempting her with everything she loves tonight, and hopefully she'll soon start to eat.
Phone the vet tomorrow, though, if she doesn't.

I'm sure she'll be fine!

Please dont give her more Metacam if you have been told not to by your Vet

Tabitha has had major abdominal surgery only a few hours ago. Try to imagin how you might feel if you had a hysterectomy today at mid-day !!

Just allow her to rest. Leave food and a bowl of water nearby and make sure that she is kept warm. She should have poo'd/wee'd and eaten a little by tomorrow morning :)

lol! that's just the view i was taking. trust me, i'd want the meds! i don't want to overdose her though, so i'll hold off. she's very still, not shifting uncomfortably, and she might well still be groggy from having GA. poor little one. i can't even explain its all for her own good in the long term. i'm keeping a close eye on her and trying not to panic. her brother is mimicking her behaviour exactly but he's not getting extra treats!

When Amber had her spay, i left her to rest and every half hour looked in on her and every hour i waved some food under her nose. I surrounded her with alll her favourites and water also.

The first thing i got her to eat was apple dipped in peppermint tea:roll: and good old dandelion leaves. I did find that she ignored her favourites and went for things she usually to leaves to last

just bathed her tum with warm water and cotton wool, as instructed. what a mess! poor bunkin. but, when i put her carefully back in her cage, she managed a couple of hops and at least looked at food...

thank you, jaysmonkey.

she is still turning her face to the wall, can't find any evidence she has eaten or moved but... when i lifted her off the puppypad i'd put over the vet bed i found - wee and a tiny poo! so i'm more hopeful. her tum still looks very very sore but there is no fresh blood ( they said she might 'ooze' - poor baby) but i should have left for work already and that doesn't seem to have happened...

I think I might pull a sicky and stay with her to make sure she's started to eat! Daisy always picked up and ate a little after having some more pain relief I split her dose so she could have some in the morning the rest in the evening! Daisy ate loads of basil leaves took several days for her to eat normal food! I tore the basil leaves and rubbed them so they smelt stronger!

one wee, no poo. but, nibble signs on a spring green leaf and when i tried to lift her out of her isolation unit to check her tummy, she wriggled free and has gone to sit with matthew.

I had my little girl spayed recently and was told to take her back to the vets if she hadn't eaten withing 12 hours. Maybe, you should give your vets a ring. Have you given her any pain relief today?

yes, she had metacam this morning and took it quite well. i'm going to look at her tummy at 5 30 and examine the food again to see if anything's gone.

Back