• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay mites/fruit fly looking

teresateddyb

Warren Scout
anyone have any info for me pls just fed the buns their eve hay and there are loads of what look like fruit flys with black bodies and clear wings coming out of the bale of hay

are they dangerous to the bunnies or g pigs?
will i need to dispose of the bale ?

i bought the large bale from sadlers farm a couple of weeks ago only just started it have another bale next to it will that be infested to

teresa

Last edited:
I don't believe these are hay mites, but I have experienced exactly what you're talking about with my hay in the past. I don't know enough to inform you though. I've just never had an issue with it and my bunnies.

I still used it. There wasn't a mass of them just a few, nothing came of it. It was kept in a sealed air tight bag.

ok i suppose cause its a large bale thats why there is more of them they are defo fruit fly looking but a darker shade with clear wings

teresa

I'd be tempted to hold onto it and put it in a sheltered place outside one night when we have a frost. That should kill anything nasty.

been out to the hutches again and there are loads of these all over the hutches again they are tiny with clear wings i am so worried i am tempted to clean out all the hutches they are making me feel so itchy

teresa

I'd be tempted to hold onto it and put it in a sheltered place outside one night when we have a frost. That should kill anything nasty.

I can definitely say you haven't got hay mites - they don't have wings.
I can't think of any flies that small which cause bunnies a problem but you don't want them in your house getting into the computer, ruining pictures etc. I agree totally with Rhian put in a shed/open up & expose to a hard frost.

Back