• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any spare vibes for Emily please? U/D P16, 10/12 - We've had to let her go

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know we took Emily to the vets on Saturday as she had very sore hocks & was shivering - Jane thought she had an infection of some sort. After being on metacam & baytril since Saturday, she seemed to be picking up.

However, last night she would only eat if I hand fed her & the same again this morning. She has also completely stopped using her litter tray & had wee'd herself badly this morning. I cleaned her up before going to work, but came home early to find she was back in the same state :( She is also very, very unsteady on her feet but her hocks have improved since Saturday with sudocrem :? I know Emily has never been great on her back legs because of her poor start in life, but how she is behaving now is totally unlike her :(

We've been to see Jane tonight as I'm worried sick about her - I'm convinced this can't all be down to sore hocks & Jane agrees with me :? She's booked in for an xray tomorrow, even though I really don't want to put Emily through a GA - I feel we don't have any choice, as she is obviously not right :(

I have asked also if EC could be a possibility, which Jane thinks it could be :(

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm dreading what tomorrow might bring with the xray or that she might have EC.

Any spare vibes anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Oh no :( Im so sorry shes poorly Denise. I hope tomorrow brings some answers for you both :( Nose rubs to beautiful Emily xXx

Thanks guys.

No she's not Jane - I did mention that at the vets tonight, but was advised to wait until after tomorrow :?

Do you think I should start her? I have some in, so can start if needs be.

Thanks guys.

No she's not Jane - I did mention that at the vets tonight, but was advised to wait until after tomorrow :?

Do you think I should start her? I have some in, so can start if needs be.

I would follow the advice of Jane.......the Vet one !! :)

I can't believe I am typing this - but I am devastated to say we've sadly had to make the decision to let Emily go :cry::cry::cry:

Emily seemed like she had gone downhill overnight even more - she wouldn't move much & when she did she was shuffling the best way she could on her bottom. She was covered in more urnine this morning & seemed more depressed than ever. I took her in as planned for her xray & but we both just knew deep down that we would be faced with the decision to let her go peacfully :cry:

Up to now Jane our vet had only been able to examine Emily as much as Emily would let her, due to Emily's size & how stressed she got when being at the vets :cry: Jane rang me at 10.30am to advise she had sedated Emily & now she had examined her fully & xrayed, it was clear that Emily was suffering from severe muscle wastage & that she had bad arthritis in her spine :cry:

We discussed at length the quality of life that we felt Emily had at this moment in time & if we felt that it could be improved. Sadly we arrived at the conclusion that due to Emily's breed & the fact that she had such bad muscle wastage when we rescued her 10 months ago - that the situation wouldn't improve for Emily, no matter what we tried :cry: Jane also said that given how stressed Emily got at being handled or given medication, she feared it would cause her to have a heart attack if we decided to see if we could help her further.

I asked Jane what she would do in our situation & she advised if Emily was her little girl, she would let her pass peacefully under the GA. As much as it gutted us to do this, Mark & I both agreed that we felt it fairer to let her go now peacefully before she started to suffer anymore or go down hill further. I just hope that Emily understands why we've let her go - Emily was such a beautiful girl & we couldn't watch her suffer.

We've brought her home for Archie to see her & I thought my heart was going to break in two :cry: I think he knew this morning, before we went to the vets - but seeing him lay over her & wash her was so heartbreaking to see. That said, we are glad we let Archie see her - I really feel like he understands why - at least I hope he does.

When I feel a bit more with it, I'll post about Emily in RB - our big beautiful girl will remain within our hearts always xxx

Oh Denise I'm so sorry :cry::cry::cry:

You gave Emily a lovely home and a beautiful, loving husbun. She will have known how well-loved she was. Sending a hug to you and vibes for poor Archie.

Back