• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies - photo update

chloaster

Warren Veteran
We had two gorgeous girls come into the rescue a couple of weeks ago with a litter of four babies and not knowing who the mum was we left them all together. Sadly one of the babies didn't make it but the other three have done really well and are gorgeous :love: Anyway, they are two weeks old now and so I thought I'd take a few pics of them and that's when I realised things were not as I thought .....

Kayley

DSC_0107-2.jpg

Jolea

DSC_0119-1.jpg

Three baby bunnies

DSC_0113-1.jpg

DSC_0114-1.jpg

And the :shock:

DSC_0115-2.jpg

What's the best thing to do? I've had two mums bring up babies in the same nest before but they were born days apart not weeks apart so just grew up together. These are two weeks apart, the older three are starting to explore and I'm just not sure what the best thing to do is. Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:
Leave them alone.

I have had this happen to me (after my sister thought it would be great for the man of the household to play with my girls :roll:) and both mums were great mums, I think both fed the babies.

Unless there are any probs, I wouldnt remove either parent or babies.

Hope all is well.. they are :love:

One thing I would suggest... make sure there is a ledge for the bedroom.... as the older ones start leaving the bedroom you dont want the smaller ones to get knocked out..... ! I had one die of coldness overnight that way, I was gutted.

PM me if you want to :D

I swear I would've cried.

Do you know who Mum is (of the new ones?)

Felt like it - I found a single baby dead on the floor a couple of days ago and then nothing so thought maybe that was it. There's six in there and I found another dead too. Kayley is very fat and her bottom was really caked in poo when she arrived so I thought maybe she wouldn't have been able to give birth cos everything was clogged up and assumed Jolea was the mum and also she was slowly putting on weight and had quite obvious teets. The same is true now - Kayley is showing no signs of being a mum and neither of them seem slimmer from yesterday ..... :? I'm not very good at the baby thing.

Be VERY careful! The mum/s might turn on the older litter. This year Ted's mum killed one of the older litter (she got out after having the first litter and ended up with two!)

I don't have advice though. They aren't old enough to leave mum. Once they get to 6 weeks I would watch them REALLY carefully as if the boys annoy the mum then she could do some serious damage. For now they should be ok together! :)

Gosh - never thought of that - will keep a close eye on them, thanks.

It'll be when they think that they are a threat to the younger litter, so when they get boisterous. You might have to remove them from mum/s sooner than usual!

...they are so pretty!! :love::love::love:

Yes, the babies are very very :love:

If needs be, you may have to take the bigger ones away but hopefully you wont have to....

I know the washing up bowl babies may have put you off, I would have been disheartened, it is a hard job but it wasn't your fault. Everyone knows baby buns are fragile, quite a few die when being raised by the experts - the mums themselves. Its therefore not your fault what happened to Brillo, Suds and Bubbles. They had a very slim chance. :( Its just nature.

*hugs*

Love the little pink head in the middle!!!
Looks like the kenilworth nursery is going to reopen then ;).
The ledge is a great idea. I think you need to keep an eye on them regularly to make sure the little ones do not get out in the cold but the bigger ones are going to be more out than in from now on. What you can do is make them another little hideout outside of the "hutch" like a stuffed carrier (with plenty of hay and things). I had a rolled up piece of flooring with hay all around, all fluffy and comfy where all the babes were "hanging" and the "grown ups" couldn't get in. If you want to part swap buns on the week end I am ok with that. Though they might be a bit young to move just then, could be better in a week or so.
You did a great job with the orphan buns given their background and situation, look at Soapy now!!

If you want to part swap buns on the week end I am ok with that. Though they might be a bit young to move just then, could be better in a week or so.

I thought you'd had enough of babies Ms M??? :lol: ;) Just can't resist a cutie eh?

OMG Chloe,:love::love::love: I think you've got to be careful as the older kits can be a bit" boisterous" for new babies.would it be possible to put the older babies in a new nest but still in the same area ?[using some of the nesting material from the old nest]

Back