• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House buns - do they come downstairs? advice pls

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: Im wondering what to do - Sooty and Oreo are housebuns and always have been - Im hoping to bond after christmas upstairs in the spare bedroom as that room is totally neutral to both...Im thinking if it goes well that I may leave them up there... as they do take up a huge amount of room downstairs along with all the mess that goes with it!!

BUT
im going to miss not being able to see them all the time, do they think if i let them out they would come downstairs? Oreo has negotiated stairs before when he creeped up when noone was looking and he can easily get up and down - i just dont want to miss the interaction with them as i talk to them every time i walk past to the kitchen but on the otherhand they will get a whole room to themselves and would probably prefer it if i stopped pestering them :lol::oops:

does anyone elses buns live upstairs and wander downstairs??

I just dont want to miss out on all the cuteness of flops and binkys :(

All three of my buns live upstairs (one in each bedroom at the minute) and they all use the stairs with no problems to come down in the evenings to spend time with us.

I have wooden stairs but the NIC set up is upstairs, I have a 'base' downstairs and before we got Winter we carried Rimmi upstairs to put him in bed and brought him downstairs when we woke up.... (the NIC set up was secure... he cant get out as I fear him falling down the stairs.. they're slippy, I have fallen down them! :oops:)

:wave: Im wondering what to do - Sooty and Oreo are housebuns and always have been - Im hoping to bond after christmas upstairs in the spare bedroom as that room is totally neutral to both...Im thinking if it goes well that I may leave them up there... as they do take up a huge amount of room downstairs along with all the mess that goes with it!!

BUT
im going to miss not being able to see them all the time, do they think if i let them out they would come downstairs? Oreo has negotiated stairs before when he creeped up when noone was looking and he can easily get up and down - i just dont want to miss the interaction with them as i talk to them every time i walk past to the kitchen but on the otherhand they will get a whole room to themselves and would probably prefer it if i stopped pestering them :lol::oops:

does anyone elses buns live upstairs and wander downstairs??

I just dont want to miss out on all the cuteness of flops and binkys :(

At university Lola and Max live upstairs and Brian, Jemimah and Lenny live downstairs. They all trundle up and down stairs visiting each other :lol:.

At my normal home, all the bunnies live downstairs, but love going upstairs and hiding under my bed :lol:

Mine can use the stairs, although they do like to spend most of their time in the bedroom. I like it because it means it's their choice if they want to be alone or not.

Mine love the stairs! They zoom up and down them and on the way down Dudley always jumps of the second but last stair and then does a nifty bit of cornering down the hallway. Its like a game for them :D plus its good exercise!

Mine love the stairs! They zoom up and down them and on the way down Dudley always jumps of the second but last stair and then does a nifty bit of cornering down the hallway. Its like a game for them :D plus its good exercise!

No way!!!! :lol: That's exactly what Bob does when we take him to my parent's house (we don't have stairs in our flat). It's so funny to watch.

It's brilliant exercise and I love watching him go up and down them. He loves it! :D

Biscuit lives in our spare room upstairs, and although it took a while and quite a few raisins as bribes she now loves running up and down the stairs, wonderful exercise.

Scamp makes a break for upstairs every time he breaks out (twice yesterday). He does the stairs up and down and full speed no problem.

I'd agree though that is they aren't carpeted you'd need to be more careful as bunnies tend to slide well.

ok thanks everyone :D

but how do you get them back up??? would the rattle of the pellet bag do it? Sooty really doesnt like being picked up or goin in the carrier so I dont want that trauma evrynight!

I also have an enclosed staircase so will just have to keep the door slightly open - i guess that is safer though - there is no chance of them falling through :) (and they are carpeted)..

Yep, time feeding so it's when you want them up to shut in for bedtime and they should get into a routine :)

We just say bedtime and just tap her on her bottom very gently, and she normally blinkies as she is testing if we really mean it, she will then go up two steps and sneak down again, oh the fun we have putting her back up stairs lol

Here is a huge pic of her:

2nukpqt.jpg

Aww, that pic is fab! :love:

My Daisy runs up and down the stairs like a lunatic, but for some reason Jester won't use them :( He hovers on the top step, looking over and putting first one foot and then the other over the edge, before backing away again. He's not a tiny bunny so I'm sure he can't be too small for them :?

I basically spend as much time as possible upstairs with them both, and when Daisy comes down in the evenings I limit her living room time to about 20 mins before I call her back upstairs so we can all hang out together.

Heres Rimmi on my stairs... he will go up one when I am coming downstairs but doesnt dare go up any further as he can feel they are slippy.

I was thinking about getting some vet bed that has rubber matting kind of like a bath matt) to put on each step so I could herd them upstairs, what do you think?

100_1208.jpg

Aww what lovely pics - And what colourful stairs!!! :D

Yes non slip matting might be good - he will probably feel a bit safer on that :):)

I think that securely attached non-slip matting/carpet is essential.

When mine had his freedom extended to upstairs, I was with him at first, to ensure he didn't fall. Coming down is a bit more difficult than going up. Like many buns, he loves the stairs. Straight up in 1.5 secs. :shock:

That made me :lol: out loud imagining that!

I love the stair-going pics!

*Goes off to watch Scamp doing the stairs video*

My 2 lives upstairs during the day and when i open the door on their nic set up they dont come out of their own accord, they know the doors open, they just choose to stay inside :roll: so i have to pick them up and carry them downstairs. We have to keep the living room door closed as they try to go back upstairs everytime its opened :lol:

Back