• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
I'm thinking about putting some flooring down in the garage (10ftx12ft pen) for the buns, thy ahve huge dog beds in there and lots of warm places and now have a little hutch i leave open for them to jump on or snuggle in but as winter is getting close i want to put something down that looks nice and is nice on my bunnies feet. The concrete does help keep their claws under control but it doesnt look very nice and im worried they will feel cold :oops: Im trying to watch the pennies too though so just wandering if anyone had any ideas?

how bout a few matts as they can be easily lifted and rolled away once summer is here. ikea are doing great ones for £5.99. or you could put some old carpet down as well.

Thanks guys

The trouble i have though is anything soft, dreamer likes to pee on it :? and tink and dreamer poo everywhere, i sweep them out twice a day!! So it has to be robust flooring that can be washed and swept. Its a large space to cover too.

maybe a nice bit of lino would do then. you can get quiet cushioned stuff. although i think the vetbed can be easily washed, or even fleesh.

I find vet bed is easy to clean typical mess off with a hard brush, you just gotta get down on your knees!:lol: also bonus that it's washable as mentioned. It can also be cut to however you fancy!

Perhaps you could try the rubber matting stuff, though I don't know how easy that is to clean. Or as Ted an Petal mentioned a roll of Vinyl/Lino! :D

a week or so ago someone horsey suggested rubber matting used in stables - was it you, nc? if not, there's an idea!

a week or so ago someone horsey suggested rubber matting used in stables - was it you, nc? if not, there's an idea!

Yes i am looking into that was just seeing what other ideas there were that i hadnt thought of but thankyou :)

Thanks guys

The trouble i have though is anything soft, dreamer likes to pee on it :? and tink and dreamer poo everywhere, i sweep them out twice a day!! So it has to be robust flooring that can be washed and swept. Its a large space to cover too.

:wave: How big an area is it ?

Just be careful if you do use vet bed, that if you wash it at home in the washing machine :? I love the stuff, but nearly went off it when it stopped my machine working & I had to have an engineer out to fix it :oops:

Make sure you put it inside a laundry bag or pillowcase or something - otherwise you'll end up like us! :roll:

Our bunnies are like Dreamer - they like to pee all over it too :roll::lol:

I use the 'non-slip' vinyl/lino throughout the house, Its slightly spongy but not at all slippy under their paws. You have to use a scrubbing brush rather than just a wet cloth to clean it as it has lots of tiny tiny dips in it (which makes it non stick). i think that is what I would use if I were you.

vet bed just bungs up the washing machine - i save that for sick buns.

Alternatively you could just put hay everywhere??

Or lino and hay?

Oh yes forgot to add I hand washed all my vet bed for the first 5 washes, because I read all the nightmare stories about washing machine breakages! :lol:

Hi - sorry you did mention the size earlier on in the thread - doh!! We have just put down some chipboard with polystyrene on the back of it (quite thick) and then lino over the top of that - will be nice and warm. You could do something like that, sheets of ply or chipboard (they come in all different depths), they also come as huge pieces (get delivered - they would probably cut to size for you aswell) with polystyrene underneath then lino over the top - our piece of lino was about £18.00 for 6x4 but, it's quite a thick one you can get cheaper than that. Al also put some ordinary baton round the edges so no loose edges to be pulled at and Ness seems to love it. I did ask him if he had any spare and he has 2 pieces will check tomorrow - he's sleeping if they would fit your sizes and let you know. x

Thanks guys, i have thought about putting everywhere but i dont want them to stop using their litter trays and just pee anywhere. I'll have a look into lino :)

Hi, checked with Al and he only has enough to do about a 6x4 area and it's been left in someones garden so has got wet grrrrr lino would be good you can even put some underlay (as for carpets) underneath which would be nice and warm. x

Back