• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby rabbits

serendipity

Warren Scout
Apologies if this is on the wrong forum but I couldn't see a section for questions relating to babies.

So my situation is this. 2 rabbits, both sexed as female by pet shop and 2 different vets. In October one gave birth to 3 kits, all were dead when I discovered them. We had been away for the weekend so missed the actual event.

As we were moving house things were chaotic. Vet advised us she would almost certainly be pregnant again and sure enough 30 days later she gave birth to only one baby, again found it dead. Moved male out.

Last Tuesday my son called me and said she had had babies and they were dead. Was slightly relieved that she was now apart from male and this would be the last trauma.

I left her alone that day as she appeared agitated and then removed the dead babies the following morning. The nest was still intact though and I had noticed with the others that she had pulled the nest apart after losing them so felt there may be more.

I had done nothing since other than feed and water, so no cleaning out. on Monday I looked in her bed area and could see the nest moving so had confirmation she had live babies.

Yesterday was 1 week post birth and I opened bed area - am concerned as she toilets in there? Nest is intact, and moving.

Today I stroked her for her scent and then parted the top of the nest and I think there is only one in there. It's eyes were closed and it was quite furry, velvety I guess.

What now? Should I clean her out and move the nest? How much can I probe to look for babies? Does 3 sound about right for a litter or is it likely there are more?

She has no nesting box and I read she should have but daren't disturb it.

She's a Netherland Dwarf by the way.

What now?

Hiya, welcome to the forum! :wave:

Unfortunately I know very little about kits, so can't help you. Just to say that if they're outside, without a nest box, the kit/s may die cuz of the cold. Perhaps you could cover that part of the hutch with a few blankets, and put a snugglesafe in there?

I'm sure someone will come along in a minute who knows what they're talking about, and will be able to help! Good luck!

Thank you for your reply!

They are outside with a waterproof blanket but I plan to move them into the utility room today as I gather it's going to get colder!

Three is an ok litter size, especially if mum is acting ok, but it could be more. She may have had the dead ones one day, and then had the live one the next day because they can stop their labour as they have two uterine horns, and so can split the labour, as weird as it sounds.

Its gone through the hardest bit because it now has fur, and mum is feeding it.

It's completely ok to hold the baby and also to rummage in the nest. I would always suggest stroking mum first (like you did), and also not having anything strong smelling on yoru hands (so no recent soap or anything). I you think mum might be a problem you could get someone to stroke mum and feed her treats while you rummage in the nest, another option is to put a dab of vanilla above her nose so that she smells that, and by the time it will have worn off, baby should smell normal again.

You do need to get in the nest and check how many there are and if they all look ok (at this stage, fur on, fat bellies, also check the umbilical line-belly button for signs of infection).

It migt probably be worth moving baby/ies and nest into a nest box in the hutch, which should also make cleaning easier. I wouldn't normally suggest it but at this time of year there is such a high risk of baby freezing or getting pulled from the nest and freezing there. A nest box needs to be open at te top, have high enough sides for baby to not wriggle out of, be big enough for mum to turn around in. A shoe box can be ideal for a small bunny. If you do this save as much of the nest as possible. If mum lets you, maybe also gently pull some fur from around her nipple lines to keep the nest even warmer (the hormones loosen it so it shouldn't cause her problems).

I'm not sure I would move her inside though because that's a huge body change, is there anywhere moderately warmer than outside she could go? Maybe a garage that never has cars or fumes in it?

Thank you so much for replying, what a great forum this is!

We have a shed so maybe I'll move them in there, it's a bit stuffed full at the moment but my husband is off work tomorrow so I'll get him to rearrange it.

I have a shoebox I could use, will the mum be able to climb in? Am worried she'll ignore her baby if I start rummaging. Would I just pick up all the nest and put baby back in the middle?

So is it ok to pull back all the nest and look really deep?

Thank you!

Just an update but have looked as deep as I can and there is just one I can see, very cute and very "rabbit" looking so I think my feelings of it being 8 days old would be right.

Hello and welcome! It is a great forum isn't it. You can be assured of some great advice any time of the day or night.

I don't have any first hand experience of baby bunnies but from reading on here it seems it is best to check the babies daily to ensure they are keeping warm enough and are being fed, mum will only feed once or twice a day I believe, often at night - you need to look for nice round tummies. First get someone to distract mum with some food, then rub your hands well in her litter/on her so you get her scent then take a look in the nest.

I think the idea would be to gently scoop up the whole nest, baby includes and put the hay lined shoebox in the nest area popping the nest inside. If you feel the sides are too high for mum, just cut a scoop out with scissors for easy access. Don't cut it too low though or baby could fall out.

Glad to hear dad is removed. I would get him booked in asap for neuter so you can look to rebond them later (at least 6 weeks after or he could still be fertile) when the kit is weaned and mum spayed.

Good luck with the little one.

hi welcome to the forum,
glad you removed the daddy as he can impregnate mum as soon as she gives birth to the litter. i'm glad you've got a healthy looking baby from it all, i'm sure it was very traumatic for you and your bunny. i really only have experience of 2 week old babies onwards (i fostered baby rabbits there). but it would be great if you could lift the baby and check that it's tummy is full and it's wee bum is okay, i.e no reddness. i hope everything works out and look forward to cute nethie baby piccies. if you think anything is odd contact your vet immediately.

Thank you.

All is still well this morning. "Crackers" (as my children have named it) appears to be thriving to my inexpert eye!

Still the other rabbits are Bouncer and Wiggles so I guess silly names follow in this home....

Aw, what a lovely (and hopefully) happy ending to this story, we would like to see pics as soon as possible please. I am really happy for you :love:

hi i am new here too. my babies were also a surprise.
i discovered them on probably day 2.
i checked them everyday and the mother was not bothered by this at all. she had three live ones.
on day 8 i put them with all their nest fur into a shoe box, put the mum in her run to stretch her legs and i cleaned out the hutch completely... then i packed the bed end with some hay and straw (hay is a bit softer for the babies) put the saved nest fur in the middle-ish and snuggled the babies back in the nice clean hutch.
then i got the mummy bunny back in.
they only feed their babies once or maybe twice a day and hardly look at them at other times.
you need to keep an eye on them during week two and three as sometimes they can roll out of the nest and at this time of year could get cold quickly. by week three your baby will be out hopping about! my mummy rabbit fed hers at dawn everyday.
i checked them hourly during the day for the first couple of weeks and popped out a few times during the evening also.
we put a 'shelter' around the hutch to keep out the chilly winds at night and topped up the hay and straw in the bed everyday (mummy kept eating the hay!!)
hope this helps a bit... my babies are eight weeks now and will be leaving soon, i feel rather attached to them though:shock:

Thank you.

Baby is doing fine. I cleaned out the hutch today taking care to move baby with all nest contents and then placed back in. Am pleased to report mummy has checked her/him since then and added more fur to her bed and more hay around her/him.

Anyone know if I can take a pic or will it damage the baby's eyes? They are now open...

Back