• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a rescue rehome to this?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I have a 5ft by 5ft run with a 4ft by 1ft hutch in it. They have permanent access to the run (obviously), and can be under and on top of the hutch, as well as in it.

My problem is that currently Tilly and Roger live in there. Tilly has head tilt and since her dental last week seems to be fading and we can't stop it and don't know what's wrong or why. Roger is a former wildie and is terrified of hands, and can run in a blind panic when in the wrong mood, which is why I am not willing to make the accommodation any bigger; it is just not safe for him.

It looks like I'm are going to lose Tilly, and if I do then I need to think about Roger. I'm wondering if a rescue would home a teeny tiny bunny, or a teeny tiny pair of bunnies (two females-Roger is not going to accept any man) to live with Roger. He lives outdoors, and obviously at this time of year they would need to be outside bunnies, but I'm more than happy to take on bunnies who need that extra bit of TLC (no long furred bunnies though please), but I would obviously prefer bunnies with problems who won't lose their life early to them as it currently stands. Roger is roughly 2 and has been with me for 15 months, and in those 15 months he has been bonded into a trio, and lost one of those ladies, now faces losing the other, so the more stable I can make it for him, the better.

Would a rescue rehome to this situation and size?

Could you take on another wildie who maybe can't go back to the wild?

Potentially I could do, but Roger is actually a fully domestic rabbit, but was released into the wild as a young bunny, and accepted into a wild warren, and this is where the RSPCA Officer removed him from (at about 7 months of age). He has a lot of good domestic characteristics in him, but just can't shake his reaction to hands and the perceived or potential threat of being picked up.

His two lady friends are/were both incredibly confident and happy around people and it did wonders for him and brought him out amazingly. Their calming influence transmitted to him. My concern would be that another nervous bunny, which could easily include part or full wildies could send him backwards.

I would definitely consider it though, if someone had a couple of ladies they wanted to send my way (My local RSPCA has a group of 6, but I can't take all six into that space and wouldn't want to split them).

Would it be possible to add a hutch on the outside of the run that is permanently connected? I think that would help your prospects a lot, I don't think it would add any danger but would just add a few extra square feet to meet the requirements of more places. Something like a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a hole in the back that goes straight into the run?

Would it be possible to add a hutch on the outside of the run that is permanently connected? I think that would help your prospects a lot, I don't think it would add any danger but would just add a few extra square feet to meet the requirements of more places. Something like a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a hole in the back that goes straight into the run?

Erm, if I can bond or rehome Baby (RSPCA male foster- unfortunately) then I wonder if maybe we could connect the Thistle Hall to it, potentially though that would make the run uninhabitable, as well as the hutch if it goes wrong (I'm not the most handy person in the world). There is still an increased risk to him with a multi level hutch though.

I wouldn't be offended if any rescues said they wouldn't rehome to this set up because I know it doesn't meet their requirements, but its what we've had to do for Roger. I just thought I'd put out some feelers.

It's worth talking to your local one. When we reserved Thames we were told that they consider each case on its merit.

It's worth talking to your local one. When we reserved Thames we were told that they consider each case on its merit.

I volunteer with the local RSPCA but they have no girls at the moment. The other resscue nearby doesn't spay, and I need a fully 'ready to go' bunny if possible (how awful does that sound, but hopefully you know what I mean). If not possible then we deal with that as it comes and I will approach her to ask her.

Sorry if I'm not up to date, but I thought you were having to give up your rabbits? How come you're thinking of taking on more?

Sorry if I'm not up to date, but I thought you were having to give up your rabbits? How come you're thinking of taking on more?

I've never said I was giving up my bunnies? That's never been an option to me, once they come as an adoption, they are here to stay. Not sure where you got that from. Maybe it was someone else?

Ah, thinking back, was that were I was overwhelmed and people suggested rehoming? Or maybe when hospital was mentioned and people offered to foster?

Anyway, having spoken to my local rabbit rescue, thanks for reminding me of them Biscuit's Mum, she IS willing to rehome to my set up, so hopefully if the need arises I could sort something with her. Hopefully it won't though, hopefully Tilly will keep plodding on and improve and improve and be back to herself and stop losing flaming weight!

Thanks guys.

I've never said I was giving up my bunnies? That's never been an option to me, once they come as an adoption, they are here to stay. Not sure where you got that from. Maybe it was someone else?

Ah, thinking back, was that were I was overwhelmed and people suggested rehoming? Or maybe when hospital was mentioned and people offered to foster?

Anyway, having spoken to my local rabbit rescue, thanks for reminding me of them Biscuit's Mum, she IS willing to rehome to my set up, so hopefully if the need arises I could sort something with her. Hopefully it won't though, hopefully Tilly will keep plodding on and improve and improve and be back to herself and stop losing flaming weight!

Thanks guys.

Awww, well that's a big relief! I can't even imagine having to give up my boys.

It's great that the rescue are happy with the accommodation. Hopefully, as you say though, Tilly bun will hang in there! Vibes for her.

Awww, well that's a big relief! I can't even imagine having to give up my boys.

It's great that the rescue are happy with the accommodation. Hopefully, as you say though, Tilly bun will hang in there! Vibes for her.

:) No, I can't imagine giving up any of mine either. In fact, just you mentioning it made me anxious about ever having to do it, or that people thought I was someone who would do that and then take on more. My buns are absolutely not ever replaceable, and they are family members and here for good :)

Yes, let's keep hoping Tilly will start to improve :) That would be far better than taking on any other bunnies.

:) No, I can't imagine giving up any of mine either. In fact, just you mentioning it made me anxious about ever having to do it, or that people thought I was someone who would do that and then take on more.

Oh, I'm really sorry! :( I didn't mean to make you feel bad, it was just a missunderstanding! I think you do a great job with all the buns you take in.

Last edited:
Back