• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella has sore hocks :(

shell1805

Mama Doe
Im so upset, just cleaned bella out and i saw she wasn't hopping about like normal. She just sat in the corner of the front room and that isn't like her. So i got her on my lap and gave her the once over. What i found was 2 small areas on her back feet which are red and sore. What do i do? If i bathe them will that be enough. I have trimmed her nails in case they were too long and caused it. Im so up set with myself. I should have noticed sooner :(

If the skin is intact I advise that you leave them well alone, & nurse her on plenty of soft blankets.
Most bunny vets feel that any cream etc on intact skin flattens the remaining fur, & reduces the cushioning on the hocks further.

If the skin is broken or scabbed, an assessment of infection by a vet is best.
Clean with colloidial silver & apply savlon colloidial gel worked well for Lady Lydia's sore hocks (Jack's-Jane)

def worth vet visit if they look sore as its best to catch early once they are too bad thats when you end up with 'winston' problems his are sooo bad hes on metacam for life. YOu want to keep on soft stuff vet bed etc. If you have potty then if really bad try that paper shred stuff you norm use for hamster houses for few days as woodchip is hard and spikey.
Keep off wet grass as this will flare them up. Dont put creams on unless vet says as this can make them worse however if its just little dry patch then tiny bit of moisturiser will stop them from cracking/bleeding but dont thicken on.
Watch for nibbling as they tend to eat them more.

best to keep bedding as soft as possible . If the skin is intact then just observe and leave but if there is any sign of soreness / infection then get vet to check over . Cheekybun had this and had to get dressings for several weeks . It was kind of like a donut shape placed over his heel to keep it off the floor but it worked a treat and he healed well . The most important thing tho is padding in the bedding .

Back