• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cause of Sore Hocks?

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Eddison is starting to get sore hocks. =( He's a nethie/lionhead cross, and he has plenty of run around time. He's always on blanket or carpet or other softer surfaces. I have let his back nails get a little bit long, and I've heard that's a possible cause. How do long back nails cause sore hocks anyways?

Should I try and put a vet wrap on it after disinfecting it with Betadine?

Long nails especially back nails prevent the bun from tilting his foot forward, so he tends to "sit back" & weight bear on his heels more.
My boy takes his hocks off the ground when lying down by tilting his feet forward. They're quite cute sticking out at the back.

Is Eddison thumping a lot? Although neutered is he "humping a toy" on the carpet?(friction wear of fur) A lot of either can cause sore hocks too.

Most vets now feel that creams should only be applied if the skin is broken/scabbed because creams flatten the remaining fur & reduce the cushioning of the hocks.

Julie's feet became sore after she started having the run of the main part of the house which is carpeted. She was use to being in the kitchen which is tile. When free on the carpet she binkies like crazy and her feet were bleeding. I was told to apply Neoporin then a couple of layers of New Skin to help it to heal and protect them. They are looking really good after just one day.

Long nails especially back nails prevent the bun from tilting his foot forward, so he tends to "sit back" & weight bear on his heels more.
My boy takes his hocks off the ground when lying down by tilting his feet forward. They're quite cute sticking out at the back.

Is Eddison thumping a lot? Although neutered is he "humping a toy" on the carpet?(friction wear of fur) A lot of either can cause sore hocks too.

Most vets now feel that creams should only be applied if the skin is broken/scabbed because creams flatten the remaining fur & reduce the cushioning of the hocks.

That explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Eddison was never hormonal, even before I neutered him. He doesn't hump anything, and he's actually not much of a binkier either. Not much thumping either. He's kind of a "chill" bunny. :)

I've trimmed down his back nails. It didn't look broken or scabbed, just a little red. Maybe I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Thanks Judy! :wave:

Julie's feet became sore after she started having the run of the main part of the house which is carpeted. She was use to being in the kitchen which is tile. When free on the carpet she binkies like crazy and her feet were bleeding. I was told to apply Neoporin then a couple of layers of New Skin to help it to heal and protect them. They are looking really good after just one day.

Glad to know that there are some solutions out there that work so nicely! I'll keep an eye on him, but I think I'll try the Neosporin and New Skin if it gets any worse. Thanks! :)

Back