• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have indoor pen without a roof?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Just wondering what height (if any!) would be safe to have an open top pen for a very small rabbit without it jumping out?

About 2.5-3' from the highest point in the pen (eg top of box/cage/litter tray). You don't have to have a solid lid as such though. A net works as they bounce back if they jump but can't reach to chew through it :)

Thanks Tamsin. I guess I can try at a certain height and a net will be easy to add it it turns out not to be high enough!

i have a pen from Zooplus which is 2.5ft high. Buttons and Snowy lived in it indoors for 2 years and never did either of them jump out. Not sure I would trust Lola in it though as she is bigger and tries to escape from everywhere! The height is perfect for smaller buns, and also low enough for you to climb over.

i use savic puppy pens. when they were very young, they would jump up, hang on to the top, and scrabble over. they dont seem to do it now - they ate all the pies! :lol:

My 2 live in a NIC grid set up thats 2 grids high (about 28inches high) and they cant jump it - well they could if there was a ledge that they could land on the other side! But they wont jump it if its a straight drop the other side

Great thanks everyone :D

Have seen some puppy pens where you can choose the height so think if I go for about 3 ft it should be a pretty safe bet.

ours is 2ft high in the bit that doesnt have a roof.. pearl hasnt jumped it but she has climbed out. the net you can get from homebase works great ontop. i use the small bulldog clips to put it in place.. if it was any higher it would be a nightmare to get my leg over it in the mornings, ive already had a few accidents at that height getting in and out of the bloody thing lol

Back