• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Boy is chewing plaster!!

Hi, :wave: this is my first post and i don't know if i am doing this right? I have an 18 week old Frenchy. He is a house bun, my first house bunny. My other three are outdoor buns. He has taken to nibbling occasionaly on the plaster off the wall. I have tried the foot stamp and 'no', to which he just looks up and carries on..:roll: Also tried the lemon juice, vinegar etc, he really doesn't mind it atall!!! I'm not worried about the plaster so much, more that he could become poorly if he actually ate any. Any help would be great.:p By the way this is a great forum and has helped me out loads just reading through it.....

Thanks anyone x

Have you tried saying 'no' and stamping as a first warning, then as a second going over and pushing him away and saying 'no' again?

If you try that he might begin to understand that if he doesn't move the first time you are going to win in the end anyway.

The trick is to ensure that he knows he will never win. You will always get your own way so he may as well conform!

I know that sounds awful, but it's the same with kids, you can't let them win too many battles or you lose all meaning.

Oh and welcome :wave::)

Hi Laura
Oh yes i tried the 'no' with a stamp...mmm no too bothered by it. I shall persevere with it though! He's a right little monkey, got me wrapped round his cute fuzzy paw already. He he he :lol:

Steph x

Oh dear! Ginger's really bad for this too. It's got to the point where they just can't come in the living room anymore. :(

Definitely persist, and try step 1, 2, 3 like you would with kids.

1. Warning, stamp and 'no'. If that doesn't work;
2. Get up and push bun away, saying 'no' again, If that doesn't work;
3. Time out in her hutch (I hated doing that but only had to twice - both on the same day :roll:).

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Daisy has eaten a fair bit of plaster :roll: Thankfully she's been ok afterwards.

She never listens to 'no' as I'm a rubbish disciplinarian :oops: so I find it easiest just to keep her away from the bits of wall she finds tasty - unless I'm there to supervise. Obviously if your bun thinks all sections of wall are tasty my 'give in to the bunny' strategy won't work :lol:

Welcome to RU:wave:
I used to have the same problem with one of my bunnies. The only thing that worked was using an obstruction so she could not get to the piece of wall that she loved to demolish:roll:. I understand that you're worried that your bunny may get ill, but mine is now eight years old and has eaten quite a bit of plaster, plastic, paper etc throughout her life.:shock::lol:

:wave: Hello, its good to meet another Bunny Mummy.

My in door bun loved ALL the corners of the house be it made of wood, plaster or even leather (my sofa). So covering one part always ended up with him just moving on to the the next. I did use to spend ages sitting next to him and pushing him away and saying no until he kicked his heals at me and ran away. Simon used to put him in his carrier for a few mins and as soo as he got let out he would go back to it again. In the end we just had to make sure he was supervised in the living room and accept that we were going to have to replace the door frame quite often, :D, we also thought about getting some hard plastic corners but we didnt actually find any.

I always thought that left to his own devices, he would eat the whole house. Loved him like mad though, we are hinking to get another one so if you do eventually find a way, let us know :D

Angela

Hooray.... for now anyway. I have put an obstacle in his way, he must think its too much effort to bypass and hasn't bothered since :D he has the big space under the stairs to himself, equipped with toys, boxes and his favourite an old duvet cover which he loves digging and scrunching up!! These walls are plastered but my hubby is gonna clad it all out for him. Problem solved i hope ;) By the way my baby is called Huckleberry. I'll get some pics up of him soon!!

Steph xx

Back