• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you show Desmond to Lola or not?

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
Desmond has now passed away (please see other thread cause i can go over it agian :cry:) and Lola seems so sad - should i show her his body or not? She has been seperated from him since last night?

The vet said no but i am wondering if it would be better for Lola?

Last edited:
so sorry for your loss :(

I never showed my bun toffee my bridge bun harvey's body... i just couldnt.
He got burried straightaway, with toffee watching.

Last edited:
I brought Ollie back for Blue to say goodbye. I think it helps them understand.
Broke my heart all over again watching them though.
Hugs for you both.
x

Absolutely - some take no notice whilst others take time to grieve with their partner - this must be so heartbreaking for you:cry:

I showed Twix Minstrels body when he died as they had been seperate when he died. He groomed him for a couple of hours and then gave up. I do believe it helps them realise that their buddy has gone and hopefully helps them get over it. I also found putting a cuddly toy in with Twix helped - he used to spend ages grooming it before Star came to be his friend.

if the vet said no there must be a reason :?i dont see a problem unless the vet has a reason why you cant like risk of infecting lola with what ever he had however if you think it will help do it asap though dead rabbits do stink after a few hours ;)

Last edited:
I left Daisy with Maisie for as long as she needed it. She groomed her and it is upsetting for humans, but I think it helps the bonded rabbit understand. Later that day I drove Maisie to the crematorium a couple of hours away, wrapped in a sheet, and it was fine to do this.

I am so sorry for your lossxx

We have put Desmond in with Lola - its heart breaking as she is nudging him and cleaning his eyes :cry::cry:

How long do you leave them together? They have been together about 5 minutes so far.

I want to bury him today whilst its still light :cry::cry:

We have put Desmond in with Lola - its heart breaking as she is nudging him and cleaning his eyes :cry::cry:

How long do you leave them together? They have been together about 5 minutes so far.

I want to bury him today whilst its still light :cry::cry:

I usually leave them until the bereaved Bun moves away from the deceased Bun.
It usually happens within 2-4 hours

:cry:

Should we just leave her cage open then? So she can go when she has had said her goodbyes?

They tend to just move away, so if the late Desmond is at one end of the cage you will find that eventually Lola will move to the other end, or at least turn away from him.

You can always leave the cage open if you want to and she can then hop out when she feels ready to do so

:cry: :cry:

They tend to just move away, so if the late Desmond is at one end of the cage you will find that eventually Lola will move to the other end, or at least turn away from him.

You can always leave the cage open if you want to and she can then hop out when she feels ready to do so

:cry: :cry:

We opened the cage and she is hopping out of the cage then goes back to clean his eyes. Its awful to watch :cry::cry::cry:

I have no idea how you have the strength to deal with this. I have been sat here weeping for so long, I am genuinely so sorry you have lost little Desmond. :cry::cry:

Back