• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vulval Infection

princess1983

Young Bun
Hi Everyone, im looking for a bit of advice!
My female rabbit has been having blisters and sores all around her private parts for many months now. When i first took her to the vets back in July they put her on baytril and Fucidin cream to soothe it. After she had finished the baytril she seemed fine. However within a few days it had come back. This has been happening over and over again now. They swapped her to Dermisol cream to see if that helped. The vets haven't got a clue what it is and they are really quite useless! the one vet suggested that she was producing too many hormones and should be speyed (not sure what the term is for rabbits lol) but she was speyed 2 years ago!!!! shows how much they read the animals records! SO she has had numerous blood tests and a tummy scan and they cant find anything untoward. anyway, they now tell me that her bladder is leaking urine and its scalding her and that is the reason for it. They cant do anything for her and i just have to put the dermisol on her daily and give her 2 shots of baytril (they call it a pulse course of antibiotics) twice a week. has anyone ever had this and do any of you know anything better to soothe her! sorry for the essay and thanks in advance!:) - PS - Do you think sudocream would help? can this be used on rabbits?

Last edited:
I'd get your vet to think about treating for syphillis too. My giant bun is in the process of being treated for it, he's had to have a course of three penicillin injections, he has his last one thursday and it's really cleared up. The vet originally diagnosed him as having myxi :shock: and put him on baytril which evidentally has no effect on syphillis. I came to RU for advice and they said syphillis so I took him back to the vets for a second opinion and they agreed to try the penicillin injections.

Thistle had some scabs around his genitals but also his nose got very sore and scabby too, and he got a couple of scabs on the top of his head. Does your bun have any scabs anywhere else or just under her tail?

Poor little girlie. I use Sudocrem on hocks and it is OK. However, if I were you I would take her for a second opinion to someone more bunny savvy before trying it as there does seems to be an underlying problem for it to keep coming back.

I hope she can be sorted and made more comfortable.

I really do think you need a new vet. If you have a look on here there are a few recommended. Yours doesn't sound like they have a clue :roll:

Poor little girl, that's just nasty :(

Thanks 4 your replies. She hasn't got any scabs anywhere else and when she is on baytril it does clear it up but in about a week it comes back! i am just shocked that my vets have basically said they dont have a clue! she doesnt have any contact with my other rabbit as they hate each other so would it still be possible for her to have syphilis as i thought it was sexually transmitted. thanks again for your replies.

lol i have just been readin the syphilis site and it says it doesnt always be transmitted sexually so ignore my comment! Im a bit thick lol

if it is urine scalding, what cream do you think is best?? xx

My bunny has a problem with her 'woman bits' too. This is due to her being deformed down there at birth. She gets alot of redness and has trouble with urine scald.

I have tried a few things. First i tried cleaning with cooled boiled salt water and applying fuciderm cream, this wasnt that good, so i went to the vets and got baytril.

After that episode it came back again, so i done the same again and also used cavilon barrier spray.

This seemed to clear it up for a short time, but it came back yet again with her having pus-like sores on her too this time.

Now im washing her with diluted hibitane twice a day and applying cavilon durable barrier cream, and this seems to be helping (touch wood).

I also got the vet to shave her underneath as i was having problems applying the barrier creams when she had matter urine soaked fur, now i can put the cream on her skin better.

Good luck, i know exactly how it feels to have to clean a bun with urine scald, its not an easy task!

Last edited:
Could they have nicked her bladder whilst she was being spayed (the two organs are very close together)? Although I doubt this is the cause, as she was spayed such a long time ago and it clears up with Baytril.

Back