• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

putting my rabbit to sleep

blue

New Kit
Hi Guys i was wondering if you can give me some advice sadly my little girls heath has really gone down hill in the last week or so she has got a lump on her side that is getting bigger she has lost loads of weight and is very poorly she has stopped eating apart from a small amount of apple and i have made the very hard choice to have her put to sleep to today but what i need to know is the best way i have heard that the injection is not always the best and i have heard that some vets will gas them but having only ever had dogs done i do not know what to expect, any help will be very helpful at this time.
I am very sad about this and my 10 year daughter is beside her self as she has been her rabbit for about 8 years and lives in her bedroom and so she will leave a massive hole in our lives
I hope that her passing will be as painless as possible and i dont want her to suffer any more

I am so sorry to hear about your rabbit. Its so upsetting. I have had three rabbits put to sleep at the vets, all by an injection. I think that on one occasion the vets injected the rabbits ear. Either way, they went peacefully and although it was upsetting, I was happy to know that they were nolonger suffering.

Thinking of you today.

im so sorry youve had to come to this decision :cry::cry::cry:

ive spoke to my vet about when the time comes and she told me that her method is same as dogs and cats. they try for a vein (in the ear for a bun tho) she said if a bunny is too poorly and they cant find a vein they will then put them off to sleep first, just like an op then do the injection somewhere less nice but because they are already asleep its pain free and peaceful

if you feel able do talk to you vet about it before it really helps to know theres no suffering at the end.

i will be thinking of you today :cry::cry::cry:

I would let them give a bit of gas first,we have had 3 buns pts this last few months and watching a bun scrabble around with the needle stuck in its ear is not nice.when they are gassed they fall asleep then have the injection,so they dont feel anything.:cry:

I think it just depends on the individual bun really. One of my buns had the injection in the ear and just sat there with me stroking him and cuddling him and it was the most peaceful thing i've ever seen. However if i have to pts one of my buns if the needle is distressing for them i'd let the vet give them some gas and do it that way. I would normally try for the needle first though as im told by the vet the gas isnt really nice and they sometimes struggle while getting it at first.

Am so sorry to hear about your bun and hope the passing is peaceful either way

You could also ask the vet to come and do it for you at home (so you dont have to add to the stress taking your rabbit to the vet) but obviously this will cost more. It's what my mother has always done with our cats and dogs when we've had to do this.

thanks every one for your kind words she is booked for 4.50 i am glad i have this information i will be asking for gas and i the injection in the vein and i will be staying with her as she goes i am a bit worried as it is not my normal vet but i will be firm in what i want for her i have had her a long time and i want her passing to be pain and stress free as possible

So sorry you had to make this decision, I know how hard it is. hope the bunny passed peacefully and you and your daughter are ok.

Back