• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with Litter Training

Bobo89

Young Bun
Hi.
I'm new to the forum so just trying to figure out how it works! I currently own two buns; both male, a netherland dwarf called Bobo who is five months and a mini lop called Kenco who is three months. They both live seperately in different rooms of my house. The thing i am struggling with is litter training Kenco. Bobo has always been so good with his toileting; he uses his litter tray, and rarely poops anywhere in the house. He lives on carpet and as a result his cage rarely needs cleaning out. Kenco on the other hand loves to completly cover the living room carpet with poos. I have tried to use the exact same technique with Kenco as i did with Bo but it doesnt seem to be working. He still seems to be piddling and pooing all over his cage! As a result i strugggle to keep his cage clean and he cant live on carpet. What am i doing wrong? Any advice?
Hope someone can help! Thanks.

Ps by the end i hope to have kenco free range throughout the house but if this carries on im wrried this wont be possible!

:wave: Hi you haven't said how you did the training with Bobo but, I would say on first impressions that 3 months is still very young and you have to keep going with it - he is still a little baby really and if you just keep up with picking up the poops and dab up the wee with kitchen roll and put that in the litter tray for a while - till he smells it at least and when you see him doing it in the tray reward him - eventually the penny will drop as they say and it clicks into place. I wouldn't have him on carpet till he stops weeing though if at all poss. Have you got a room for him to free range which is lino/tiles or anything ? He does need to get out of the cage at times, also he might be able to smell the other one so is over compensating with marking his territory! x

Hiya thank you for your reply. To be honest i didnt have to really do much with Bobo, it just sorta came natural right from the start, i just kept his cage really clean and he seemed to like it! Unfortunately I havent really got an area that is lino, my flat is completly carpeted! At the mintue Kenco is kept in my lounge in a cage, with newspaper on the bottom. Everytime i see that he has weed, i rip that area off and out it into the litter tray, but it just seems to keep coming! I really dont like sawdust as i find it too messy for the house, i am worried about keeping him in his cage too much. I thought about getting a dog crate, lining it with lino. What do you think? Should i just persevere with how im doing it at the minute?
Thankyou!!! Nichola xx

Back