• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New bunny is sick...

Rae033

Young Bun
We got our new Mini-Rex last week, we went to the Vets and had a check up. Everything was fine and she was looking good and healthy. She is now sneezing a lot and there is some white discharge on her nose. She is still eating, drinking and pooing. She is also very active and playful. This has been going on for a few days, we called the vets and made an appointment. Our vet (specifically for our rabbits) is only available 1 sometimes 2 days a week. Therefore we cannot get her in till NEXT week. Of course we could take her to an emergency vet but they dont specialize in Rabbits. If it comes down to it we will have to drive a few hours to get her into a veryy good emergency vet but I need opinions on what may be going wrong. I also wanted to say what kind of life she had before she came here and see if that had any affect on it. She was living with a family in an outside hutch and then they were moving and drove her 10hours in a trailer and then was being surrendered because they realized that they would prefer not to "deal" with caring for a hutch anymore :)evil:) She is only 3 months old..so I didnt know if it was due to so much stress or moving from outdoors to indoors, being with our other bunnies? PLEASE HELP! Or give any opinions

Also, should I seperate her from the other house bunnies. She is in another cage by herself but she is very close to our other cages. We are so stressed and just want her to be okay since shes still so young. Sorry for the long thread I just want some opinions. :(

090.jpg

Can't one of the other vets do something, maybe they could examine the patient and do a phone consult with the vet who knows a lot about rabbits? Most vets should be able to do a least the basics for rabbits like prescribe something appropriate which might be antibiotics etc. They should have some reference material available even if they have to look it up. Then you could get another visit with the expert when she is available?

Thats what we were going to do. We have an amazing vet for our dogs and we figured we would bring her in and see what he says, but he does very little work on rabbits (rarely ever) thats why we found a vet specializing in rabbit care. When we were reading on the internet about "sniffles" they said make sure you only go to a rabbit vet because most vets will prescribe something that is dangerous to bunnies that they didnt know. :? At least if we took her to any type of vet it would be better then nothing at all?

Can I just say she is gorgeous!! I would rather some advice than no advice though! If they do prescribe something, post it on here first as there are a lot of people on here that know what to give and what not to give to bunnies!

:wave: Sorry to hear that you are going through this, initially I would be looking to keep her nice and warm and make sure she is eating and drinking. Plenty of fresh greens/herbs, I would then be tempted to if poss put a bowl of boiling water with a couple of drops of olbas oil in near her and yes until you have seen a vet isolate her from your other buns. I have heard porridge made with boiled water and served warm can be comforting for them aswell. Best of luck seeing the vet.

Back