• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How easy is it to find reliable help with buns?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I was talking to Laura (Lspacehopper) last night about why I have to limit my numbers to 20 rabbits. It's primarily about time...whether that's time spent cleaning out, putting the buns out in runs on the lawn, feeding, or medicating sick rabbits (which are normally the ones I take on)...it all takes time I don't really have.

I work full time (normal office hours) and sometimes have to stay late into the evening or work a Saturday/Sunday as well.

This works okay for 2/3 of the year, but I do struggle to get everything done in the winter months...mainly because of the dark nights.

My mum suggested that I pay a local kid to help out, but I'm not sure how reliable or hardworking they'd be...or how much they'd expect to get paid?

Any opinions or stories to share?

I wouldn't trust anyone else with my bunnies. I don't even trust Steve :lol: If he feeds them or cleans them I follow behind and do it again my way :oops:

Even though I am home all day I still struggle to get everything done in daylight so we have installed loads of solar lighting :)

Maybe try asking local secondary schools or at your vets for teenagers (year 11 and above i'd say) that want to become vets or vet nurses?

they'd be most likely to be motivated, interested and caring. If you have some ones that need medication they'd be useful and interesting 'cases' for such students to learn things from.

When i get onto my 'exotics' module i'll be visiting Liz again to learn all my bunny medicine from some real 'patients'!!! :lol::lol::lol:

When i get onto my 'exotics' module i'll be visiting Liz again to learn all my bunny medicine from some real 'patients'!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Eddie says he will be ready and waiting in return for nose rubs and any spare treats :love::lol::lol:

I wouldn't trust anyone else with my bunnies. I don't even trust Steve :lol: If he feeds them or cleans them I follow behind and do it again my way :oops:

That's true! The biggest worry I have is if hutch/run doors are shut properly. I'd hate to come home to find any of the rabbits had disappeared or a fox had got them :(

Even though I am home all day I still struggle to get everything done in daylight so we have installed loads of solar lighting :)

Is solar lighting good? Some nights I'm out at 9-10pm...would they keep their 'charge' all that time?

Maybe try asking local secondary schools or at your vets for teenagers (year 11 and above i'd say) that want to become vets or vet nurses?

they'd be most likely to be motivated, interested and caring. If you have some ones that need medication they'd be useful and interesting 'cases' for such students to learn things from.

I need somebody around during the day when I'm at work, so not sure how much they'd actually learn about rabbits from me.

I'm trying to remember what I was like as a 14-15 year old...sooo long ago! :lol:

How about a vet nurse from your local vet practice?

They often want extra cash, or experience. Mine is a godsend when I go away.
She works shifts too, so comes before/after work

I'm exactly the same with my lot - I have 2 horses too, & cramming everything into the 8minutes of daylight I see a week is a nightmare:roll:

How about a vet nurse from your local vet practice?

They often want extra cash, or experience. Mine is a godsend when I go away.
She works shifts too, so comes before/after work

How much do you pay, if you don't mind me asking? I'm on really rubbish money despite working long hours (overtime is unpaid), so I don't really want to be paying someone more than I earn pro rata

I had a saturday girl helping with bunnys, one of them bite her (broke the skin) i had alot of problems with the parents wanting to sue me :shock::roll: just a bit of a warning

That's true! The biggest worry I have is if hutch/run doors are shut properly. I'd hate to come home to find any of the rabbits had disappeared or a fox had got them :(

Is solar lighting good? Some nights I'm out at 9-10pm...would they keep their 'charge' all that time?

I would be concerned that they would miss signs of illness etc as well as the practical side of it. Even Steve left Meredith shut out of her shed all night once. Although she had the time of her life roaming the garden all night :roll:

My solar lights are remote controlled so I just flick them on when I need them and off again when I don't which saves power.

I definately think you would need some sort of insurance and if you are employing a minor you might even need to be police checked :?

Wow, sounds like it could be more problematic than I thought! :shock:

I'll perhaps have to limit my numbers to 20 permanently then :(

i have the same problem .. although i work at home i childmind and cant leave the kids unattended to sort out the buns ... i always struggle vov to end of feb .. :(

ive managed to get help from a few volunteers now and again but could realy do with someone for a few hours every tues or wed through the day .. :?

i wouldnt let anyone near the buns unless they were over 18 though .. unless i was going to be there too

Back