• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Bunny Diet

aussiebun

Alpha Buck
Hello!!

Excuse the ignorance, but I've not had a baby bun for years - Rog & Barney were both rescues and much older.

Lily is 11 weeks old, and I've had her just over a week. I've kept her on the same food she was having before and she has unlimited hay. She's doing well, eating, drinking & pooing normally so tonight I introduced her first carrot, just a smidge of carrot with the top on.

Am I right to do this or is it too soon? I know to do any new food introductions slowly, I just want to be sure I'm not doing it too early.

I'm keen to get her off commercial food and onto a fresh diet as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Introducing Veg to a baby not weaned onto it (ie a baby who's Mum did not have Veg that baby ate whilst still with her) then its best to introduce them at about 10-12 weeks. Personally I would start with a very small portion of dark leafy greens rather than carrot due to the high sugar content in carrots (which can disrupt the gut flora causing dysbiosis)

If Lily copes OK with one type of Veg you can then try another type after a week or so of her having a daily portion of the origional type. Then just gradually introduce different Veggies in the same way. I would avoid fruit for now, again due to the higher sugar content.

xx

Thanks Jane, that's what I thought.

I only gave her the tip of the carrot, but all of the green. She seems to have coped well with it but I'll just do it very slowly.

Shes very cute, will upload a piccie soon!

xx

Back