• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit pellets/mix with the highest fat/sugar content?

coco1200

Warren Veteran
can anyone reccomend me a pellet/mix that is high in sugar/fats? I honestly don't care if it is a mix, anything will do in the short term, but I need it to help my Noisette put some weight on, she is very low in weight :(

Vet has said to give her porridge daily, which she will get!

thanks alot :wave:

Not sure about pellets but I found porridge with banana mixed in and recovery feed (not all together) really helped Snowdrop put on weight.

I've been using Excel Dwarf Junior and Science Selective Junior for Merlin as he has bouts of snuffles. It seems to have done the trick. Not sure about the sugar content though.

Not sure about pellets but I found porridge with banana mixed in and recovery feed (not all together) really helped Snowdrop put on weight.

oooh, she will go mad for this!

I've been using Excel Dwarf Junior and Science Selective Junior for Merlin as he has bouts of snuffles. It seems to have done the trick. Not sure about the sugar content though.

I thought the junior pellets were one of them! Are they higher in fat? I remember using these before, and she loved them.

Feed her pizza ;)
I'll come over and we can have a girly night in, watch a film and have a Dominos.
You and Oscar can play on the playstation.

I think I would be looking for underlying problems, what did the vet say? Cherrys only sign of dental problems was losing weight, 3 vets didn't even spot it :evil: as it was soooo far back

Someone on here suggested hobnobs, which was recommended to them by their vet, which Cherry had a few of (maybe one a week) I was also recommended sunflower seeds, round 4 a day

I made porridge up with half water, to soften the oats, then topped it up with apple juice. I also added grated carrot or apple to it.

all this along with unlimited pellets, hay and veg, but she was very underweight at that point.

She has gradually weaaned off all the sweet stuff in the hope she will eat hay, to no avail

I think I would be looking for underlying problems, what did the vet say? Cherrys only sign of dental problems was losing weight, 3 vets didn't even spot it :evil: as it was soooo far back

Someone on here suggested hobnobs, which was recommended to them by their vet, which Cherry had a few of (maybe one a week) I was also recommended sunflower seeds, round 4 a day

I made porridge up with half water, to soften the oats, then topped it up with apple juice. I also added grated carrot or apple to it.

all this along with unlimited pellets, hay and veg, but she was very underweight at that point.

She has gradually weaaned off all the sweet stuff in the hope she will eat hay, to no avail

Please can I go on this diet?! :shock: :lol::lol:

Yeah, i'd try to keep up the hay otherwise she'll never eat it again, and she still needs the fibre

ooh, sorry I didn't add her condition... she's got an abcess.. which has come back again :cry: she's at an all time low... she should be weighing over 6kgs. she's back on strong antibiotics, which was very successfull last time.

She will start porridge tomorrow, and I will buy some hobnobs for her too! I can imagne her liking them, she has a bit of a sweet tooth... one a day too much? :oops: My girl isn't a hay eater, she's a grass eater instead. She does have a slight dental problem, but its nothing to worry about says my bun savvy vet, becuase its not causing any discomfort, drooling, weepy eyes, uclers and its not stopping her from eating.

I just hope she responds to the meds soon, and is a big fat bunny again :cry:

She does have a slight dental problem, but its nothing to worry about says my bun savvy vet, becuase its not causing any discomfort, drooling, weepy eyes, uclers and its not stopping her from eating.

I just hope she responds to the meds soon, and is a big fat bunny again :cry:

What weight is she at now?, poor girl.

Cherry had none of the usually dental signs either. She was even eating, dispite a loose, infected tooth, she just ate very slowly, and competition was fierce being with Charlie, but no, no weeping eyes or drooling either. She only had ulcers on the final exam, before her first dental.

What weight is she at now?, poor girl.

Cherry had none of the usually dental signs either. She was even eating, dispite a loose, infected tooth, she just ate very slowly, and competition was fierce being with Charlie, but no, no weeping eyes or drooling either. She only had ulcers on the final exam, before her first dental.

she's at 4.8kgs now :cry: She is skeletal for a giant bun. I am so suprised how quickly she has lost the weight too...I am honestly just going to feed her anything that she will eat.. spoil her to the max!

I reckon she will need a dental in the future though... it was my first reaction when I realised she was losing weight, but she doesn't eat slowly, she will chow down on her food like she's never seen it before in her life :lol:

Jaysmonkey, she's not a hay eater though... I don't think she will eat redigrass :? Is that the hay that is for horses?

try it ;) Cherry will take a few choice pieces, and Frankie loves it, he is wiating for his bottom teeth to come back through

I was desperate to get weight on one of my older buns so fed him oats, hazel nuts and swapped him to Beaphar pellets as they were the highest in calories that I could find. see http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/pet-supplies/pet-food/rabbit-food-mixtures-and-feeds/beaphar-care-plus-rabbit-junior-1-5kg.html My local pet shop is really good, and they had data sheets on every type of rabbit food (excel, science selective, allen and page, and a lot of mixes but I was only looking a pellets) and these were the highest calories whilst still having a really high fibre content and not too much calcium (he was a calcium intolerant bun).

Alas Charlie bun is no longer with me, and I still have half a bag if you want to try some. I don't mind sending you a jiffy bag full. Just PM me your address if you want some.

I was also told to try breeders pellets as they're made for bulking up bunnies, but I didn't like that idea!

How is she today Jan? Is she eating? I would text but your probably at school, walking the dog or doing the ironing ;) ;) ;)

Back