• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Needed with very sick bunny

Dragonfly

New Kit
Hi

I have 4 rabbits all Rex
I have a terrible problem at the moment which I need some advice on.
One of my Rabbits is really sick at the moment he has pneumonia.
He has been on 2 lots of antibiotics, and he is now on his 2nd lot of penacilin.
The vet x-rayed him on Fri and confirmed he had pneumonia. He is still breathing really heavily nothing seems to be working. He has lost over half his body weight.
I am feeding him 3 times a day on everything from Excel, to Greens, and Carrots, and even baby food which the vet advised me on, he is still eating really well. He really loves his food still.
He is normally an outdoor Rabbit, he lives with another Rabbit, they in they are like soul mates.
Since he has been ill for a month now, he has been indoors in my spare room, with my other rabbit who he lives with.
So I can keep an eye on him. Is this a good idea, or should he be outside where he is use to being.
He is going to the vets everyday for his penacilin injection that must be stressing him out, being put into a carrier and being put in a car.
I don't know what to do for the best. What would you guys do. I am in a awful state I am worried sick about him. He doesn't seem to be getting any better, or any worse. PLEASE HELP.

i had a rex with the same problem , but she had other problems too:( she needed injections too , and although it turned my stomach my vet said she teaches all bunny owners to administer injections, and she taught me, the stress on me was awful but i think the stress on silky must have been less as she was not being carted about all the time..
no help to you really.
good luck,, lots of healing vibes on their way to you,

Can you not get the vet to show you how to inject or is it a controlled drug??
Pneumonia....poor little mite.I had that.Wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.
Keep him indoors as the change of temp would do more harm than good.Keep the other bun with him for support and company.
Sending healing vibes.I really hope he will be ok.xxxxxxxxx
(Hug for you too.Cant be easy for you either.xx)

im so sorry your going through this and i really hope your bunny gets better.. loads and loads of vibes xxxxxx

as scared as i am at the thought of injections i think to save the stress of a vets visit daily i would ask to be taught how to do the injections, dont blame you if you dont tho

When my bunnies lost a lot of weight my vet recommended oats were good for helping to regain weight. I used dried oats which my buns were fine with, but others prefer to make it into porridge using water (Not Milk!). It certainly helped mine regain their weight.

As for the injections I have to do this for mine every other day. It was hard at first but I did get the hang of it in the end. Might be worth checking with the vet if you can do this as it will save your bunny some stress. Might also be worth posting where you live as someone on here with experience might be able to support you in the short term if you are struggling to do it yourself initially. If you live near Rugby give me a shout!

i think you are doing right keeping them indoors together so he is nice and warm.
I too have had to do injections and have quite a bad fear of needles! its surprising what you can do when you have too and after a few times i didn't know why i had been so worried! might be worth giving it a try.

i know you must be very worried and i hope someone can give you some advice regarding medications.

I'm so sorry about your rabbit. There are a few things I think you can do to help him (some of which have already been mentioned:)

- Try to learn from your vet how to administer the injections so he doesn't get as stressed going to the vets
- If you can't do it yourself, always take him to the vets with his companion bunny so that he feels safer around the other bun
- Feed him oats and warm (not hot!) water to build up his strength and his body again.
- Check that the baby food doesn't have cow's milk in it, because if it does, it could make him worse as cow's milk is bad for rabbits

Keep us updated...

Definately keep him inside. Its the best thing to do for him, as he will not need to use as much energy to keep warm.

Cherry Blossom is a dental bun and at her lowest she weighed 1,5kg. This is because we couldn't work out what was causing her to loos weight. She has 4 different dental exams within 4 weeks, at 2 different places.

I found that bringing her inside helped. I fed her on unlimited pellets (she refuses hay, but still has unlimited hay), unlimited veg up until the past few weeks (so around 4-6 weeks) and a bowl of warm porridge (often made up with apple juice and grated apple or carrot). I was also recommended hobnobs, and sunflower seeds (4 a day) by forum members, which I also used sparingly as a treat.

I am sorry I can't help with the medical side of things, but I am sure someone will be able to give advice on what the best course of action is. But from what I have learnt is the bug the vets, and to find a rabbit savvy vet. Not having one almost cost Cherry her life

Back